Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avid Eleven Rack - thoughts please

Avid Eleven Rack - thoughts please

Do you have one?
    Do you like it?
    How does it compare with other , similar tools?
    Did you get yours second hand - have there been any issues with software, updates , registration etc?
    I can get one second hand for $350 - just want to know if t's worth it, cheers team

My mates son has one and I'll see the mate tomorrow so I'll see if junior has used it yet and report back

For $350, it's probably worth it. Amp sims have moved on a fair bit since it first came out, but you are talking a lot more money for a Line 6 helix, Fractal Axe II, Kemper etc. They can be noisy in re-amp mode, but you may never use it like that (and if you do, then there are ways round it with DI boxes etc.)

Thanks Dave and Simon

I'm looking at getting a new Eleven Rack next year, there's lots of good demo videos on youtube, just be careful if you do buy a second hand one since there could be some potential issues with it if you want to use it with ProTools (which comes bundled with it as a download if bought new), there should be no issues if you're using it with some other DAW software that supports it (pretty much the majority of ones that support the ASIO protocol (Windows OS), or Core Audio (Mac OS)).

Buy one new? It's an 8 year old design which makes it virtually obsolete as a store product. You'd be throwing money away as it won't keep any of its value.

I know its more expensive but for 'new' and 'Eleven Rack', you should be looking at this: http://www.headrushfx.com/

It's basically an updated version of the Eleven Rack (same development team) in a floor multi FX pedal. £899 in Andertons (as opposed to £680 for an Eleven Rack), and seems to be around Aus$1599 on a couple of Australian store sites. The Eleven Rack seems to be between Aus$900 and $1000, but a lot seem to be older ones with a PT11, rather than PT12 subscription. Also note that The PT subscription is for a year, so you need to keep paying out if you continue to use it with PT after that.

However in a year's time you might see the Eleven Rack being discontinued and sold off a lot cheaper - but still remember that it's immediately only worth the 2nd hand price.

Just like a top-of-the-line PC, any good hardware amp emulator has a very limited time at the top of the heap before it's overtaken by something with more processing power and further software development. And like PCs, the used value drops just as quickly

Unless you do a lot of home recording and aim for near-studio level results, you would probably be a lot better off with a used unit, or something even older at a bargain price. I still have my old Line 6 XT Pro rack unit. I really don't use it now as I just use software amps if necessary, but it still sounds OK for getting quick ideas down without getting the amp and mics out.

Get a decent Hi-Z DI Box, something like the Scuffham S-Gear software (probably the best amp sim out there - at least for rock) and you'll have saved an awful lot of money. https://www.scuffhamamps.com/

I think Simon has nailed the potential issue with hardware SIMs.

I have just started using the Kuassa Vermillion as per this thread http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...l=1#post147181 it's a great price, very versatile with cab options plus mic & mic placement options

I am thinking it may be a false savings for me and there are better units more suited. I have a line 6 ux2 interface and a boss gt100 effects unit, might just stick with that for now.
    I think what I would like is a new helix setup....

Overlord of Music
    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    I think what I would like is a new helix setup....
    You and me both, Stan.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Max couldn't comment on juniors Eleven Rack because he hasn't used it yet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast