Thread: How would one achieve a finish like this?

How would one achieve a finish like this?

For a while I've been wanting a micro tonal stringed instrument which sounds good both acoustic and electric. I pretty quickly realised that on my budget I'd have to build something. I got excited when I stumbled upon PBG and immediately made plans to get a kit.

I was so caught up in considerations of how to make it micro tonal and how to amplify it whilst preserving acoustic qualities as much as possible, that I didn't spare a thought for finish. Seeing everyone else's build diaries are 99% about finish I've suddenly become quite self conscious!

Two questions:
    Firstly, if I just wanted to preserve the timber and not have the guitar look embarrassingly crap, what would be the quickest, cheapest, simplest way to finish a guitar? (I've got an ES-5V on the way).

Secondly, just out of curiosity, if tasked with coming up with a finish like the one in this pic, how would you go about it? I believe the answer may lie somewhere between "black magic" and "pay a professional"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-26-02-2016-2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	21412

Hi Andy, that finish looks to be a basic timber stain with a semi gloss clear finish over the top. Not too difficult to achieve with some care and patience. Both stain and clear coat are available at the big green shed that starts with B.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

3. Liked by: Andy123

I agree with Dedman's option. Another kind of similar effect I got was when I build a speaker cabinet ages ago. Wood was stained and then used a beeswax finish and I was careful to not buff it too far. It doesn't provide a great deal of protection but it does achieve the look.

Interestingly, it kind of looks like the stage after you've first started sanding a gloss finish back with 1200 or 1500 wet and dry, but before you start using polish.

Dare I say try a couple of options on scrap timber? (I'm hopeless at doing that but I do know it's the right thing to do!!)
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

5. Liked by: Andy123

Yes, stain and a satin clear-coat finish. Satin poly or nitro sprays are easy to apply; just apply several thin coats and don't be tempted to do 'just one more pass' as you don't want runs. True Oil will also give a satin finish if not polished, though you'll still need to sand down from time to time to avoid a lumpy finish. Although the finish is satin in each case, it's still smooth.

But you must check for glue spots before staining. The ES-5V doesn't have a veneer top so is less likely to have glue spots, but you may just find a few by the binding.

7. Liked by: Andy123

Thanks for the tips guys. I really thought this thread might go in two completely different directions based on my two questions. Am I correct in thinking both questions might have the same answer?

The only thing I've stained in my life involved beetroot and a t shirt, so while it sounds simple, this is new ground for me. Any tips for choosing the right one in the store?

Simon: I've seen too many build diaries where glue was an issue, and I think in most of them you tried to warn the poor individual struggling with it. Point definitely taken on that one!!

I don't really have the space or means to spray anything, so that'll dictate the application I go with. I've noticed a lot of good instructional posts and online articles about applying a finish, so I'll try not to bring out too many stupid questions, but those^ should bridge the gap between "Finish? WTF??" and the point where most other instructions pick up.