Thread: Marcel's scratch build AC15 based clone

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Marcel's scratch build AC15 based clone

As some of you know in the recent past I built a 2204 style head out of an old defunct 1970's Playmaster chassis. I didn't do a build diary for it and only have the result to show everyone. So to make a difference I'm doing a build diary on my latest amp build that is loosely based on a mid '90's AC15 circuit.

The objective is to build a clean 15W EL84 based amp with tremolo..

After scouring dozens of circuits from VOX, WEM, Gretch, Hohner, Hynes, Watkins, Marshall and the AX84 web site, and researching parts suitability and availability, the VOX AC15 circuit suited most of my needs. As I couldn't find original VOX transformers but could find 18W Marshall types I'll be using those instead and then making adjustments to the circuit as required. Marshall do have a reasonable 18W combo amp (from where the transformers came) but it does not have a tremolo feature, however some aspects of that circuit may be needed to make this project work.

As it stands, I have most of the important bits like HV caps, tag strips, pots, knobs, tubes, sockets, transformers and a chassis from Jaycar. Still waiting on delivery of numerous resistors and various caps from RS-online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170727_143915_resized.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	21148