Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RD-4 build: Trials and tribulations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	21140

There were some issues with my finish that I decided to correct. I sprayed over the area that I had worked on and then this happened. Now I have a dead fly stuck in my wet clear and 20 hours of waiting before I can sand it away. At least he went quick.

Well that's a certainly a fly in the ointment of this build - sorry Simon, thought you might have gone with this!

What a bummer - that finish looks great abw.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compañeros

oooo crap. Bad Norwegian words. Lots of bad Norwegian words. I hate that sort of thing happening, it's like the universe testing your calm.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Damn flies! I've noticed my local Australian flies have a liking for grey primer spray....
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Thanks for your kind words. The fly will always be a part of this bass. The spot where the fly met its demise is still visible under the new coat. I used a bit of solvent to remove it and some must have remained. In direct spot lighting you can see some bubbles. Life has gotten in the way lately, but I finally had some time this weekend. Went ahead with sanding, buffing and polishing.

Name:	4-1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	21432

This is the result on the front, I am pretty happy with it and it is as good as my level of skill will get it. For the sanding I used an overpowered random orbital sander with 2000, 3000 and 4000 foam pads. For the buffing and polishing I also used a orbital sander with two different pads and compounds. Not the best idea as the sander has a way too high RPM, but it is what I had. The buffing compound suggested 800 RPM, the sander works at 12,000 RPM (unloaded). Up close in direct lighting you can see lots of small circular cuts. I call it Pre-Relicing™.

Name:	4-2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	21433

Another important step in Pre-Relicing™ is to make sure that you get big splotches of hardener as your can of clear coat runs dry. They give the finish that rustic charm and extra mojo. Joking aside, I have made my peace with it. Then and there I had a faint hope that it would meld into the rest of the coat, but that did not happen. If I were to do the whole job again it would be too time consuming right now and something else would go probably go wrong. Professional results are for professionals.

Now comes another fun challenge, making a new pick guard. I am torn between keeping with the original shape or going full on Liberatore era Voivod. A part of me also wants something in chrome to match the hardware, but I am not as cool as Glenn Tipton.

Name:	5-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	21567

And there we are. Making a pickguard shaped like the original proved to be way beyond me. But hey, it sparkles and that is good enough for me. Maybe I'll try again someday.

There is some selective noise and hum here and there, not sure if it is faulty soldering or lack of proper shielding.

As far as playability goes, it is mostly good. I am still getting my head around this whole setup and adjusting thing.

It's great to actually see one of these babies finished.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Overlord of Music
    Hawt! This is great. I agree with Fretworn, been looking forward to seeing one of these buttoned up. What bridge have you used?
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

nice looking RD-4 ABW, have you got any more pics of the finished build ? you should enter it in GOTM
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast