Thread: Tremolo issue on Jazzmaster kit

Tremolo issue on Jazzmaster kit

Hi all.
    Have built the new jazzmaster style kit and I am having an issue with the tremolo.
    The socket that houses the tremolo arm is getting stuck under the plate. It also has the E string hard up against it and catching on it.
    The other end if the tremolo set-up, where strings go through seems to be getting stuck too.

Anyone had experience with this? I have a fender jazz master and the clearance is much greater.

I figure the plate has a slight twist or bend (although when removed it looks ok.) or the route is too small as the unit only fits is to a very tight cavity, this removes the possibility of trying to mount it on a bit more of an angle.

Can anyone help? Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Infsub, I just received my JZA kit this morning so had a look at the tremolo. On mine the "socket" is pretty tall and I can't see how it could get stuck. As far as the other end goes, I can see what you mean as the tolerances are quite tight.

As you say, I have found on mine is that the trem cavity is definitely too small and I'll need to expand it a bit to get the trem sitting comfortably. I reckon that's your problem as it'll be putting undue pressure on the plates, and also explains the E string rubbing on the post (as in the cavity didn't allow for correct alignment).
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Hey Infsub, I just received my JZA kit this morning so had a look at the tremolo. On mine the "socket" is pretty tall and I can't see how it could get stuck. As far as the other end goes, I can see what you mean as the tolerances are quite tight.

As you say, I have found on mine is that the trem cavity is definitely too small and I'll need to expand it a bit to get the trem sitting comfortably. I reckon that's your problem as it'll be putting undue pressure on the plates, and also explains the E string rubbing on the post (as in the cavity didn't allow for correct alignment).
    Thanks for the feedback. I am sort of leaning towards the cavity being to small myself, as when I removed the tremolo I couldn t see any bending or warping. Looks like I got some filing to do.

UPDATE... after getting to work on the cavity with a file, the problem still persisted. I removed the tremolo and worked out that it is the 3 screws joining the plate were drilled in slightly off angle.

Adam sent me out a replacement and it works a treat.