Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brushed nickel/aluminium finish on chrome?

Brushed nickel/aluminium finish on chrome?

Hey gang, I'm playing around with an idea that may require me to make a couple of control plates from sheet aluminium. What I'm wondering is if there is a way that anyone has found to get that brushed nickel/aluminium finish on chrome - from bridges to pickup covers to tuners - as I think it might look weird if some bits are shiny chrome and others are brushed aluminium. I've played around with various grades of wetndry with limited success.

I guess the flip side of that is how successful people have been with polishing aluminium to a true shine? I'm guessing the "colour" would still be a bit different though.

Cheers
    Chuck
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Green scotch brite pads do a good job - I've done watch cases this way.
    "Sand" in one direction only, dont scrub back and forth. This will give a more consistent brushed look.
    If there appears to be a "grain" with the metal, sand with it

Thanks Stan, I'll give it a crack. I've got a couple of old neck plates that I can trial it with. I'm still a little concerned about how I'd tackle things like tuners, but again I've got a couple of random spares I can try with.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Aluminium polish does exist, we sell a product at work called Bonderite C-MC 1495 X (formerly known as Turco 1495X) It's probably overkill as an aviation grade aluminium polish. No idea on colour difference though.

Metal does have a grain, it can be hard to pick out though. Any markings on the sheet are probably along the grain direction

Make sure you clear coat it once you have the finish you want because it will start to oxidize and go dull pretty much immediately

Because I'm an impatient sod I just knocked this up from a piece of 2mm thick aluminium I had in the workshop. This is just with 600/800/1200 wet and dry sanding and a quick polish. There's potential here me thinks as I did this pretty quickly. A bit more time on the sanding and polishing, and then sealing as you suggest Dave and it could look okay. Now cutting the slot for a 5-way switch? THAT could be interesting!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130717 Switch Plate.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	20679

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Sorry, that's 3mm aluminium. The only frustrating thing is the largest size I can get from the Green Shed is 50mm wide. Fine for a switch or telecaster control plate, but you'd need closer to 70mm for the plates used on a Jaguar (which is what I'm essentially looking at). I guess there must be more specific suppliers where I could get larger dimensions, but hopefully without needing to order metres of the stuff.

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

looks good Chuck. So will you incorporate the switch plate with the new pickguard ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    looks good Chuck. So will you incorporate the switch plate with the new pickguard ?
    That's the plan - I guess it's more like a Jaguar setup than the Jazzmaster. Ideally I'd make plates for the vol/tone controls, the lower bout 5-way switch (above) and another for a toggle on the upper bout. All three plates would ideally look like the ones on a Jag. As I said before, my only concern is how these aluminium plates would look with the regular chrome of the bridge/trem and even the chrome pickups.

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Carpal Aluminium will sell sheets down to a minimum of 1/3 of a sheet which will do a hell of a lot of pickguards.

Also have a Google and find any local sheet metal shops and have a chat with them about offcuts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast