Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IronGear Pickups

IronGear Pickups

Has anyone heard of or used IronGear pickups before? I've checked them out and they have plenty of positive reviews and are reasonably priced. I wanted to see if anyone else has fitted them to a PB kit before and wondered how they performed.

Never used them, but have heard they are good bang for buck, YouTube reviews seem good.

Hi Darryl, I think two guys on the forum have used them but I can't remember who. They may see your post and respond. I do remember they were very impressed with them
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I've used them. Got two Blues Engine PAF-styles on my Gibson Flying V, (got some more of those to fit to my ES-3) and a Steel Foundry (bridge) and Steel Foundry Overwound (neck) on my Fender Roadworn Tele. Also fitted a set of Vintage 6TS to a friend's Strat copy.

Really happy with the Blues Engines on the V (it previously had the Gibbo Ceramics on it) and the Steel Foundries are excellent - really got the Tele twang, bite and clarity nailed. Much better than the original Fender pickups.

The Strat ones were possibly less impressive overall but still a lot better than the stock pickups (but I've got a custom shop strat and a Jap strat fitted with some great Kinmans, so both have much more expensive pickups fitted so they had a lot to live up to).

I don't know how they compare to the Toneriders, but I'd imagine they'd be pretty similar - both in cost and sound. Both UK designed/Asian manufactured.

Here's their UK website. http://www.irongear.co.uk/index.html

I must say they their sound clips leave something to be desired, and they sound much better in reality.

I'm just about to order a Platinum 90 for the neck position of a USA Hamer.

If I had the money and inclination, I'd be tempted do some Iron Gear Vs Tonerider comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just ordered the P90 and a set of the Metal Machines for the EX-1.
    Yeah cool! Thats all the reassurance I need. I've seen some good reviews so went ahead and ordered the Dirty Torque for the bridge of my build ... Then after thinking about it, I regret not getting it as a set with the Blues Engine for the neck ... But I might get the Rolling Mill for the neck ... I haven't decided yet, but I'm close!

I gotta stop reading these threads...I see some metal machines in my future...
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I gotta stop reading these threads...I see some metal machines in my future...
    I know. I'm already planning my next build and the IronGears are a big factor in it! I may even have a go at putting in some 6100 frets in. That means learning how to pull the old ones without damaging the fretboard. The kit I got has an ebony board without inlays and I love the dark wood. It looks sick. I'm definitely going the same again on the next one.

You need to get a pair of fret pullers and some fret board savers, it can be done you just need to put a little back bow in the neck and go gently so you don't tear the edges of the fret slot.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    You need to get a pair of fret pullers and some fret board savers, it can be done you just need to put a little back bow in the neck and go gently so you don't tear the edges of the fret slot.
    Yeah cool. I never considered putting the bow in the neck!! Makes sense. I reckon I might just bite the bullet and have a go. Have you ever done it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast