Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New Fender USA Stratocaster on layby.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Welcome back Doc enjoy the Stratty goodness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Cheers Andrew, I've definitely been enjoying it heaps.

Update:

New set of Fender Locking Tuners arrived in the post today, I bought them on eBay last fortnight, anyway, they are a drop-in replacement for the Fender Standard Tuners as installed on most Fender guitars made in Mexico and in America, the standard tuners feature two small studs that fit into small holes drilled near the mounting hole on the back of the headstock, the two studs prevent the tuner from moving under string tension so that no mounting screw is needed, Fender Locking tuners the same two studs as well.

I removed the stock Fender Tuners from the headstock of my Fender USA Strat and replaced them all with the new Fender Locking Tuners, and yes indeed, they are a direct drop-in replacement for the stock tuners, requiring practically no mods to the guitar whatsoever in order to install them, they do seem to be helping to keep the guitar in tune better which is good, so I'm happy with them.

Because they are Locking Tuners you don't need to have much of the string winding around the tuner-shaft, you just pull the string taut and tighten the thumbscrew on the back of the tuner and then cut off the excess string and you're done, it then doesn't take much winding to tune each string up to pitch, and best of all, from the front of the headstock, the tuners look completely stock, I'll post a few pics of the new Fender Locking Tuners installed on my Fender USA Strat shortly.

Here we go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fender Lockers 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	22857

Name:	Fender Lockers 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	22858

Name:	Fender Lockers 3_resized.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	22859

This is a very easily reversible mod to do to a Fender USA, or Fender Mexican Strat.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 20-10-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Locking tuners are great - everything I've rebuilt/modded has them installed!

Is it an optical illusion or are those staggered string posts, doc? They certainly look plush!!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    Locking tuners are great - everything I've rebuilt/modded has them installed!

Is it an optical illusion or are those staggered string posts, doc? They certainly look plush!!

It's definitely not an optical illusion, those are staggered-height posts, apparently the idea with that is to eliminate the need for a string tree.

I like how Locking Tuners dramatically speed up the process of re-stringing your guitar since you don't need to wind much of the string around the post to bring the string up to pitch.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 20-10-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Update:

Although the stock Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups did sound good, there were a couple of things about them that I decided I didn't like, firstly they are a bit too bright for my tastes, secondly they are hum-prone, so in order to remedy that i decided to swap them out for the three white Kent Armstrong Dual-Blades that were in my Gold Strat, don't worry, I'll buy another three of them for the Gold Strat next year since they're not that expensive, anyway, doing the swap-out definitely made a big difference for sure, no annoying background hum, but more importantly the guitar sounds fatter and works better with my Marshall Amp's overdrive channel, so I'm really digging it, I still get that Strat "Twang" with all the pickup selector-switch settings though, so that's a bonus.

Pretty stoked that the pickup swap-out works really well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4