Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: August GOTM

Entered in the September thread now .. will put my grey one in for October perhaps.

So to the comments...
    1. Yorev's MK-2
    I love the midcentury aesthetic Yorev has achieved, that headstock decal is super cool. It really quite suits the MK-2. Its a shame we cant see the pearl flakes in the photo. That chrome cover on the bridge single coil is a fantastic feature.
    The headstock decal instantly gives you that 50/60's motel vibe, which is further reinforced by the great choice of colour. It really has that frozen in time, retro vibe. I'm not normally a fan of this style kit, but I really like this one. Finish looks good, and the chrome bridge pup adds that little bit extra. The only slight niggle is the bridge is sitting a little higher than I like to see. Overall, very nice.
    Good to see a different colour than white. Well finished and a nice touch to the headstock logo. An axe to be proud of, well done.
    I always enjoy seeing MK-2s done in something other than dirty white. So, I dig on the colour choice. The headstock logo is fantastic. Very original. Well put together and finished.
    Really good solid finish. Love the headstock.

2. Isaac's JRM-1
    Great JRM-1. Original re-shaping of the headstock is great. The zebra hummys set the scene on the all black satin look. nice.
    Not your average Jnr. Heavily modded for a very unique and classy result. The satin black works nicely, but looks a touch uneven in some of the photos (grain lines perhaps). The headstock shape surprising really suits it and has won me over. Looks like it would roar. Be nice to have some more information about it.
    Love the mods, upgrades and custom pickguard, this is really classy build and looks ready to gig!
    Love this one. You've taken this kit and made it your own. Excellent, well thought out mods. I would like to see this available as a kit. Superb work
    Love this. I plan to steal this idea. I always feel curvy guitars need curvy headstocks though.

3. MorningMusic's TL-1Q
    Look at that beautiful quilt! Love the deep red, black and cream binding. We all know how difficult working with veneers are, so bravo MM. hats off to the original re-shaping of the headstock.
    Beautiful looking Tele with a the awesome flamy wave in the top. The headstock shape leaves me a little cold, but that's my bias towards the traditional Tele curves. THe headstock face and decal/signature looks great. The black scratchplate is almost too much, but I'm not sure any other colour would work better. I guess I just want to see more flame. The custom nut could be filed down a bit more so the string slots don't sit so deep to allow the strings to slide through easier. Very nice Tele.
    Really like the finish on this axe the quilt looks very nice with the flat gloss finish. Would have like to see a more interesting shape on the headstock is the only negative.
    Red and black, classic colour combo. I would have liked to see some better pictures of the laminated timber pickguard. Fantastic gloss.
    Lovely glassy, quilty goodness.

4. OldLummox's FS-1
    What a special tribute. I'm not sure about the pickguard (each to their own) but that headstock is killer man! I'd be proud, not that easy at all. Natural finish with those vintage tuners.
    I've never been a fan of Starcasters, but this one is indeed full of stars... and I like it. The star inlay and custom pickguard should be over the top, but isn't (strangely). It works. Nice natural finish that works well with the shape and additions. I really like it, for a Starcaster.
    Very cool headstock inlays and matching pickguard. Pity you couldn't tell us a bit more about the build. Not sure the pickguard goes with the natural finish.
    An extremely good looking instrument. The inlays are beautiful. A bit more of a description would have been nice. What is the pickguard made from?
    This guitar is magical. The headstock especially is brilliant. Would be perfect if the pickguard was the same dark wood as the headstock highlights.

5. Jed51's JBA-4M
    Simple, deep mahogany stain with grain pop. The DT natural on the neck looks smooth as silk. This Bass is dead set yummy. I love it. I would buy it.
    Simple, classic, but it really works nicely. The body colour with white pickguard and maple fretboard just works so well together, I love it. The bone nut tops it off nicely. Anyone would be happy to have this in their rack.
    Love the colour of this JB and a nice finish. Tuners could be a little straighter and a headstock logo to tell everyone you built it.
    Oh man, I want it! Super classy bass. Perfect subtle dark red colouring. Fit and finish is very impressive. Tuck those string ends into the tuners and this one is perfect.
    A beautiful bass. The headstock looks a bit bare without your name though

6. Slats187's LP-1
    Slash tribute. That DT CG has absolutely worked a treat on that flamed maple, it looks awesome. Copper back ....very different. I would like to have seen a bit of headstock shaping...but why not be different. Shiny as
    The Coolangatta Gold just looks awesome on that top, beautiful. I love the coppery-mahogany back, but not sure it works as well with the top. Nice, but perhaps not quite dark enough for the top. The unshaped headstock detracts, but any father-son project is a great thing. Zebras and cream rings finish it off nicely.
    Love the colour combo, finish and headstock logo. Marks off for not re-entering with a shaped headstock and bell shaped truss rod cover as I suggested.
    Great tribute axe! Spot on colour. Off the wall but inspired choice for the back and neck. Would have liked to see the headstock shaped, but otherwise, beautiful.
    Made me think of the legendary Green/Moore/Hammett Les Paul (need to turn the neck pickup back to front though). Could have scored higher if you had shaped the headstock.

7. JamesH's SF-1
    Holy smoke. There's a reason this kit is so popular, when people build this kit as good as this, it even makes me want to get one.....some day. The natural finish really suits this guitar and Tru-oil is a bit of a work of art. beautiful.
    Just a beautiful, natural looking GR. Love it. Nice choice of pickups and would love to have some more info about the build. Clean, classic, gorgeous. Tru-Oil really is the business on this. Very, very, nice.
    Nice job on the natural finish. No headstock logo and I think the knobs don't suit this model.
    No bells and whistles needed to make this one stand out. Super pretty, straight forward build. Very nice.
    Two switches on the upper bout, as it should be. Looks like a Setzer-approved rockabilly machine.

8. Wazkelly's TLA-1
    What can i say Waz. I love this Tele. your experimentation with teas and all sorts of ways to swamp this thing up really paid off.There are so many good points to this guitar I'm only going to point out my faves, no pickguard/chrome pick up cover - looks stunning. Stained maple fret board - love it. Chrome hardware over the sea of swampiness - great. I wasn't a fan of the barbed wire on the fretboard, but as long as you like it Waz, its great!
    Nicely rounded curves, a deep glass-like finish, and taseful upgrades - what's not to love. The finish really is something you can dive into... I guess it pays to drop it after all. Not sold on the barbedwire fretboard stickers, but not out of place on this build. The headstock shape, the finish and decals all work nicely. And, frankly, you had me at 4-way. Excellent.
    Nice finish Waz and 40 coats of TO makes my stomach turns just thinking how much time that took. Fingerboard logo looks sweet and nice upgrades, a very admirable tele build, well done
    Ooh shiny! The barbed wire fretboard ain't really to my liking, but everything else hits the mark. Well put together. Lovely.
    "Swampcaster", more like a crystal clear mountain stream. You could almost swimin that top. The barbed wire detracts for me, but otherwise a perfect guitar.
    Last edited by Brendan; 06-08-2017 at 07:40 PM.

And the runner up/s (dead heat!)

JamesH's GR1-SF

and Jed51's JBA-4M

but to the winner goes the spoils (or really the love) -
    So Waz - take a bow! Your Swampcaster top scored this month!

4. Liked by: Guvna19

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar

August GOTM

Congrats Waz on a superb Tele win, to the runner ups and all other entrants. Another great round of GOTM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andrewdosborne; 06-08-2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Well done WazKelly, this one had been a problem child for you but you pulled it through to a stunning finish. Well done t all the entries this month, some fantastic work all round.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Congratulations to everyone!
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

The Tele takes it, gloss is boss, this time round. Well done Waz awsome finish. Well done everyone else
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Thanks for all the great comments. I feel very honored in being awarded a runner-up in this company. The finish on WazKelly's Swampcaster is absolutely brilliant - I'm not sure I would have the patience to go through that process so I have nothing but admiration for you - congratulations on a very worthy GOTM.

On to the next build ......

Congratulations Waz and runner ups. Another tough month to judge. Well done all entrants
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

glad I wasn't judging this month, what a great line up. Congrats to Waz and also the two runners up.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G