Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Audio Interface help

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    I've been asked to put a friend's poetry to music - which is hard enough when you're well out of practice!! - but I now would like to record a basic demo for her. I have developed a rhythym guitar track, a drum track, bass line, organ wash and piano parts but of course I cannot play everything at once...
    i have PA equipment which I intended to take the line out into a computer but I'm quite new to digital recording - alright, complete neophyte! - and have a 1 year old mac with garageband; do I need some sort of interface between the two?

My sincere apologies for the slight hijack, but the recording gurus are about in here so this is me striking while the iron is hot....

If you're looking for an affordable range of USB Audio interfaces check out Focusrite's Scarlett range, I've got the Focusrite Scarlett Studio package which includes the Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface, a Scarlett CM25 Condenser Mic, a pair of Scarlett Headphones, mounting hardware for the mic,and also downloadable Steinberg Cubase DAW software, and also Focusrite plugins too, pretty much all you need for a portable studio.

2. Liked by: corsair

Cheers, Dave and Doc! I'll check out the USB interfaces pointed up and go from there! I dunno about mixing the drums separately though as I'm using my old Alesis SR drum machine for a very basic pattern with little fills on the turnarounds; nothing too flash as I'm flat out playing guitar at the moment! It will do user prescribed patterns, though and I may have a fiddle with it should the need arise!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Cheers, Dave and Doc! I'll check out the USB interfaces pointed up and go from there! I dunno about mixing the drums separately though as I'm using my old Alesis SR drum machine for a very basic pattern with little fills on the turnarounds; nothing too flash as I'm flat out playing guitar at the moment! It will do user prescribed patterns, though and I may have a fiddle with it should the need arise!
    You could even try making drum loops by recording patterns from that Alesis Drum Machine into your DAW and then editing it so that you have a one-bar loop of four beats, and then you can use them to build up your drum tracks that way, what DAW software are you using?

I've got FL Studio, Ableton Live, Reaper, and Cubase Elements 8 installed on my main DAW PC, Ableton Live is a great piece of software, beat-matching is really good.

Doc... I can see your lips moving but I don't understand a word you're saying!! I'm really, really new at this - the last recording I ever did was analog and live.... this digital stuff is a Brave New World to me, eh!

I was going to use the till-now unused Garageband program on the Mac to nail the thing together... is that not cool?
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Doc... I can see your lips moving but I don't understand a word you're saying!! I'm really, really new at this - the last recording I ever did was analog and live.... this digital stuff is a Brave New World to me, eh!

I was going to use the till-now unused Garageband program on the Mac to nail the thing together... is that not cool?

Yeah, Garage Band is cool, I can see where you're coming from, I'm still new at digital audio recording too, it is a bit of a learning curve.

7. Liked by: corsair

Quote Originally Posted by Guvna19 View Post
    hey Simon,
    loved the holiday pics of your boating ventures, I'd love a crack at something similar. Can yo fish from said yacht.? I get to enjoy a bit of fishing at sea, love the water but do prefer the boats with a motor.
    and,
    I tried both inst and mic/line and new driver and configs, and eventually realised the crappy PC and laptop i was using are getting closer to the recycling yard.
    Upon trying it on a way faster PC, it was plung'n'play, windows 10 just new what to do and it works fine.

do you use any interface of any kind for recording?

Thanks and Cheers
    Guvna
    Not really designed for fishing, though I'm sure you could do at a pinch. You can hire them with a rowing dinghy, which would probably be better to fish from. However the rivers are pretty busy, and boats have a right of navigation over fishing, so you'd be spending a lot of time reeling in and casting again. There are a few reaches on the rivers which are theoretically closed for fishing before 9am on a Sunday, and some areas are a lot quieter than others. But fishing is best done out of the hire season (which is April to October), or else early or late in the season when there are relatively few boats around.

I've got an old MOTU Traveller as my Audio Interface (which still does the job) and use Cubase Pro 8.5 on a 2 year old i7 PC with 16gB RAM and 3 SSDs, though I don't do an awful lot of recording with it these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2