Thread: G string sounds like shite

G string sounds like shite

I have inotated all my strings on my es-1. But the G string sounds like crap. I have adjusted the truss rod correctly and the action. On the tuner the g string is in tune open and on the 12th fret but when I play the a d chord it sounds off. Any suggestions?

Overlord of Music
    I can almost guarantee the string will be sitting too high in the nut. You might need to file down the slot a tad.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

worth a try thanks

What Pabs said, the open D is the curse of the guitar and open D7 is worse for showing up nut problems

I'm assuming that the G-string is an un-wound type, apparently that's why the G-String always causes a lot of grief with regards to the tuning on electric guitars, back in the early days of electric guitars, sets of strings came with wound G-Strings and plain B and high E-strings, it was only when guitarists like Jimi Hendrix started using un-wound strings for the G-string on electric guitars to extend the range for soloing that string manufacturers started making sets of strings with an u-wound G-string, the un-wound G-string on my Gold Strat is pretty hard to keep in tune, you only have to slightly tweak the tuner to make the G-string go a bit sharp or flat by at least 5 cents, even though the break-angle over the nut is fairly shallow (about 2-3 degrees from horizontal).

The string could be binding in the nut slot a bit.