Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Amp thread

Overlord of Music
    Alrighty, inspired by Mick and his pedal thread, the next logical step in the chain is amps.

What are you running, and why?

My pride and joy

Blackstar HT-20. Easily the best amp I have ever owned, sounds amazing and surprisingly wasn't too expensive. As my first tube guitar amp, I settled on the 20 watt version so it wouldn't be 'too loud'. Holy crap, I had no idea. If I'm playing in my house, I can barely crack the volume up to 1 before getting yelled at by wife or child, and if I'm home alone getting it up to 2 usually has me convinced the neighbours will call the cops in about 5 minutes.

As for bass

Ampeg Micro CL. Just a weenie baby, but packs a hell of a punch. Only 100 watt solid state (compared to the 350 watt tube driven full Hartke stack I had back in my regular gigging days), great, transportable, versatile, awesome sounding little amplifier that can take on an acoustic drum kit and win.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

good idea Pablo an amp thread,
    my main amp is a Marshall 1960 super lead cabinet, think its 100W or 300W total for the 4 speakers, and as previously stated in the pedal thread its powered by a Fender Mustang V amp head which I only got about 6 or 7 months ago. Its got plenty of power and some cool sounds.
    I just got to sit down and play with the sounds more if someone can get me out of the workshop !

Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

nice rigs guys, I have a 1974 Fender Twin Reverb (100W), and you can have 3 guitars at once:

my 2nd amp is a solid state Crate GX212,twin 100W, I wanted something that was portable and had plenty of power. I picked it up 2nd hand on gumtree for about $280. I play this amp in the 'green room' as a 2nd amp with the mustang amp in stereo, it really gives you a full wall of sound. I haven't had neighbors throw a brick through my window......yet !
    An older amp which I've had for close to 20 years is the Fender M80 combo amp, had some great times with this amp, its still pretty loud for a single speaker. It's made in USA so think I'll hold onto it, it could be worth something down the track. It needs some repairs on the clean channel is crackling and not giving its full volume

Completed builds

One photo two threads

Blackstar HT5 stack and can understand about the Blackstar 20w this 5watt tube cranks have never had it over half volume cant be in the same room. Beaten up Fender Princeton Chorus ( unknown Vintage but was old when I got it)
    Now just got to get it all set up again now Ive moved to Mackay.
    Tony

My rig..
    Hartke 3500 head with AK 410 cab.

I have never turned it up past 3 because I am afraid that my eyeballs will melt

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

yer nice bass rig DB and you snuck in a photo with the Riccy, what a sweet bass to play !

Completed builds

Mentor
    OK. Seeing how we're showing off, this is my small collection. Most of you know that I'm a bassist first but I do also play lead. When it comes to amps I like to build my own. Have done for decades, so all but one are home built.

These two are my bass heads. A Carvin BX Micro Bass (250 watts and only 1.5 kg) and a homemade Dirty Angel 500 watt (it's actually 600 watts but I have built in a limiter to stop it from clipping). Personally I like solid state bass amps for clarity.

Mentor
    And these are my guitar heads. They are all home built all valve amps. Starting with the smallest I have...
    A two watt unit built into a Vox Pathfinder cabinet. I use this a lot for recording so I can get a cranked valve sound without blowing the windows out.
    An eight watt unit with tremolo that I use mostly when gigging. It easily keeps up with the other guitarist's Vox AC15 and is plenty loud enough for small/medium venues.
    The last beast is my Dirty Angel BlueBottle. It is 50 watts based on a Fender Bassman 5F6-A but with mods. All hand wired point to point. It is way too loud for anything I need and has hardly been used. In fact, only one gig. I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

Probably should mention that I have a GK 2x10 and GK 4x10 cabinet that I use with the heads.

Dibs on your Bassman head Lawry. That is awesome.

Wish I had the technical know how to build something like that. As it is I'm struggling just to fix a simple wha pedal.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast