Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamatji - LPM-1E

Yamatji - LPM-1E

My first build is in the mail. Wanted to make sure I have the headstock design down pat so that I had a good starting point for when it arrived ... I have thrown together a couple of ideas ... And made my task far more difficult!! I can't choose! I love them all!

The name on the guitar is my Paternal family tribal group: Yamatji. Its the name for the Aboriginal people of the Mid-West/Gascoyne region of WA. The emblem depicts the 'fire and water', in reference to balance, harmony etc.

Any ideas on headstock choice?

Hi Darryl, and welcome to the builders forum...

Which one you choose to do will most probably be as a result from your tools and skills.... That aside, I think #7 is the most striking and unique at first glance...
    Last edited by Marcel; 27-06-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Cheers Marcel, Thanks for the welcome!

I do like that design. I don't mind the difficulty of some of them - I want to take the time to make sure it's right so want to put in the effort. See how I go anyway!

Welcome to the Forum Darryl,

I agree with Marcel that 7 is both striking and unique and would be instantly recognisable.
    My 2 cents worth, I've always found asymmetrical LP head stock designs a little jarring given the symmetry of the LP tuning machine layout. But that's just a personal point of view and at the end its about you being happy with what you've crafted.

I like 2 and 4 as they maintain that symmetry, give a slight nod to the original and personalise what you are doing.
    5 & 6 seem a bit Dean-ish (Not that that is a bad thing).

At the end of it, the project is about your vision and what you want to build. I love the Family connection and the symbol and its meaning. I could imagine this logo inlaid below the Bridge tailpiece in blue and orange/red epoxy resins or something like that.

Above all, post lots of progress photos, ask many questions and read up the other threads, there's a wealth of information just floating out there. If you get stuck, sing out and any one of about 2 dozen builders will pop up to help. Enjoy the experience!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Overlord of Music
    Hi Darryl. 7 gets my vote. Very cool.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thanks FW. Totally get what you're saying about the symmetry. 7 & 8 are actually based on the layout of the body - it does seem odd sometimes to have such a symmetrical headstock with a body that isn't. So I just wanted to see what it'd look like. I do like 7 heaps though!

Welcome and I really like the design options that is much more sophisticated than my paper and pencil... I like # 8

Yeah - was considering doing it all by hand, but I wanted to visualise the end result so I had something to aim for. I've got all the raw files I designed, so I will upload a PDF with the vectorised line drawings for people to download the designs too. It'd be great to see them around!

Hi Darryl, welcome to the forum. As everyone has different tastes if you like #7 then go for it. Going for an original shape is the way to go. I personally like 2, 3, 6, 7 & 8. You should be the one making the decision. Best of luck with the build.
    I've never heard of the LPM-1E model, what is the 'E' mean ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast