Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamatji - LPM-1E

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Welcome Darryl. Although I'm a sucker for the traditional LP headstock I'd go for number 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.bellotti View Post
    I just had an epiphany ... If I can't decide between the options I have ... I'm just going to have to build 8 guitars ... Win, win!!
    Sounds like a plan...

And with each different headstock you could also have slightly different pickup and bridge combinations. Even a range of colours... Flame or spalt... The choices are limitless...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Sounds like a plan...

And with each different headstock you could also have slightly different pickup and bridge combinations. Even a range of colours... Flame or spalt... The choices are limitless...
    I know I'm going to find any excuse to have more guitars!

hi mate welcome there sir its your build do what you like that's what makes us unique some of the best builds on here are from guys and gals who though out of the box, me i like 1,3,6 did i say 1 oh yeh i did i guess perfection cant be beat Gibson got it so right as did fender, do it your way Darryl your already thinking by what you have come up with

Welcome Darryl!

Nr. 8 has my vote!
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

SOOOO!! Got a nice surprise in the mail today!

I had ordered black hardware and was surprised when I saw the silver. But fret not! Contacted the Pit Bull crew and I'm being fixed up ASAP and have had great feedback the whole way! The veneer is nice and clean and looks the part. The good news is, I can start my sanding and cleaning straight away and am looking forward to shaping the headstock! Wish me luck!!

PS: How cool does the neck look without inlays!

Attachment 20301
    Last edited by darryl.bellotti; 29-06-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Looks very nice. Make sure you use a damp cloth and wipe down the body and look for glue spots as they are usually pretty messy with the glue. They will sometimes not show up unless you slightly wet the body. Be carful not to get the veneer to wet you can loosen the glue. Just a heads up. Check out other builds with veneers if you are staining the stain will not take to glue and it's harder to fix later..

Excited to see its progress..

8. Liked by: OliSam

Hi Darryl and welcome. For headstocks, 7 and 8 for me if you don't go for the traditional no.1.

As Drumerdude says, you won't find any glue spots with the naked eye (unless really bad). You need to wet the veneer, so that it goes darker and the glue areas remain pale. It's a very thin veneer and the PVA glue it's held on with is water-soluble, so best to use metho, white spirits or turps as the wetting agent. If you do use water, don't over-soak it.

Best of luck with the build.

Hopefully you won't find any glue spots (along the veneer join and just in from the edges tend to be the worst areas). But if you do, the best results are usually obtained by using a glue remover such as Goof Off. Because the veneer is so thin (0.6mm) sanding it off is fraught with danger and on some marks, the glue has soaked right through the veneer from the back. So keep any sanding on the veneer to a minimum and only use fine grit papers to do so, say 320 and above.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

#7 has won the day! I think it looks pretty cool and accentuates the cutaway of the body.

Attachment 20302
    Last edited by darryl.bellotti; 29-06-2017 at 11:11 PM.

11. Liked by: wazkelly

Looks great! It will look even better once painted and labelled.

No position markers on the fretboard. Is that intentional and if so are you leaving it plain or adding your own?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast