Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Houston Texas. Looking forward to my first build!

Hi from Houston Texas. Looking forward to my first build!

Hi everyone. I am looking to get in to building my first guitar and found Pitbull Guitar kits on YouTube and talked about in other forums. Most of the reasonably priced kits that I found in the US that I was interested in building, got bad quality reviews so I decided to go with a Pitbull kit for my first build. I can see how building your own guitars can get addicting. They are like fishing rods where you have different ones for different styles of fishing. I built custom fishing rods for a long time and have something like 67 fly rods, Spey rods, surf casters, spinning and casting rods along with tons of flies that I have tied. I haven't even built my first guitar and I am already thinking about 4 more guitars and 1 bass that I really want to build lol. I have owned about 6 electric guitars when I was younger and then started sticking to only playing my acoustic guitars through the years. I recently purchased a new electric guitar and had to change out all the pots and pickups to get the sound I wanted. I had to change the pots because they were covered with solder all over them to the point where it looked like someone sneezed solder all over them. So instead of spending a bunch of time with braid and a pump to clean them up, I decided to just replace them. So I started thinking about building my own guitar from a kit so I could make it the way I want it to be from the start and save some money. I started buying books on setting up guitars and doing work on them so I started my tool collection for building. I am a Gunsmith and also do a lot of wood working so I already have a ton of files and tools. But there are always more tools needed and who doesn't like buying tools lmao. I really enjoy reading the posts here and the builds that you all post look amazing! So now I have the addiction lol. I am recovering from back surgery right now so my standing and sitting time is limited so building a guitar will be a great project to pass the time and keep me busy. I really need to build an elevated amp and pedal board stand so I can reach everything while I am on my back in bed where I play my guitar most of the time these days lol. Have a great day everyone!

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. You have plenty of interesting hobbies. Building guitars is addictive so you won't stop at one kit !
    Best of luck whichever kit you choose
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks!

Thank you wokkaboy. Much appreciated! Yeah I really like working with my hands and doing projects. I used to build take-down recurve bows and make my own arrows from bare shafts. Still making arrows but put the press and bow oven in storage to make more room for new tools. I also got in to making custom knives for awhile and doing a lot of things on my wood lathe. But building guitars is going to be fun and very addicting. After that it's going to be effects pedals and then an amplifier. I have to look in to a good 2 week crash course on basic electronics to get me moving in the right direction at some point. Someone out there has to have an amplifier building course for people who want to learn. I get a kick out of seeing all this equipment that I bought for cheap money 30 years ago that now costs and arm and a leg and is called vintage lol. My buddy had a Gibson Corvus (nicknamed the can opener) from the early 1980's and it was the ugliest looking guitar that didn't catch on. Well now they are called vintage and rare and are selling for as much as $1,500.00 online lmao. They couldn't give them away back when they were being made! Same with some really mediocre sounding effects pedals from back in the 80's. Biggest regret was giving away my mint condition 79-80 Dean ML to a friend who I taught how to play the guitar. He sold it without telling me for something like $150.00 lol. Those guitars in mint condition are selling for a lot of money these days. I should have given him the Strat copy hahahahaha! Next person that comes to me to learn how to play is either going to have to buy their own guitar or get a kit as a present lol. I really enjoyed reading some of your posts on here when I was browsing through the forum before I joined. That bass with all the engraving on it that won build of the month was insane looking. I have to ask that person what his teacher thought when he received it from him. That is definitely a work of art along with a lot of other builds that I have seen on here. Really enjoying this group and learning stuff. Thanks again and have a great night!
    Last edited by Rick V; 13-06-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typos

Hi Rick! Welcome to the forum. You sound like a busy man with lots of hobbies. Building a guitar is real fun and I look forward to your build dairy
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Quote Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
    My buddy had a Gibson Corvus
    Possibly the ugliest Gibson ever....
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Possibly the ugliest Gibson ever....
    Apparently Corvus is Latin for Raven it was launched in black and supposed to look like a bird in flight

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Apparently Corvus is Latin for Raven it was launched in black and supposed to look like a bird in flight
    I can kind of see it, but tbh if it was a bird it would have been an Ibis.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

8. Liked by: wazkelly

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I can kind of see it, but tbh if it was a bird it would have been an Ibis.
    Does look more like an old school can opener though doesn't it

10. Liked by: wazkelly

Welcome Rick. Sounds like you're pretty well set up already. Sorry to hear about your back though - hope you recover quickly. Look forward to following your progress!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. I love fly fishing for trout except there are no trout where i live so i have to wait for my once a year trip
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB