Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: first build flying v

first build flying v

hey guys. thank you to everyone with the warm welcome. im jumping the gun a little as i want to make sure i have what i need ao when the kit arrives ill be ready. i got the FV-1G. I really like the wood colour on this so im going to just clear it. i absolutley know nothing about building it so im guessing i will be on here alot. ok first i was going to get an acrylic spray clear paint but obviously i have been told to sand the guitar (except the veneer) before i paint it at all. if thats the case what ia the recommended sand paper i should use? do i sand the guitar first? should i bolt up the neck and body together after sanding before painting as it will all be one colour and im only clearing it? oh yes and should i use a glue as well as bolting on the neck is that recommended?

thanks again

Hi Brokin, get some 180, 220/240, 320, 360 grit sandpaper should be enough. I'd give the veneer a light sand with 320/360 grit. Rest of the body and neck sand from 180 to 360 grit. Remove all the machine marks, usually worst on the bottom/bum edge of the body.
    Don't glue a bolt on neck in case you need to remove it or shim it. The bolts will hold it in place. I'd paint the body and neck separately will be easier to work with and hang to cure.

Best of luck
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

thanks again wokkaboy. another quick question how would i know if i need to shim the neck? is there a way of checking if it needs shimming?

thanks again

Hi Brokin, before you start sanding you might as well do a mock build put both E strings on and see what the string action is like.Clamp the neck and rest the bridge on a couple of washers. Put the tailpiece bush pins in about halfway so you can get them out and just put a bit of string tension on both E strings. You shouldn't have to shim the neck. The bridge should be about 3-4mm above the body would be as low as the bridge will go when properly installed with the bushes
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

As Wok is saying; do a mock build first. That way you can check if everything is present and properly fitting.

And it gives you an idea how your build will be going to look like
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Some (if not all) of the others here have more experience than me, but yes, sand down the tooling marks first. Then sand up to 300-odd.

If your kit has a pickguard, check it on the test fit and make sure it wont obstruct the neck from fitting in the pocket. Had to sand the inner edges of my pickguard down a bit to accomodate finished neck.

treat the veneer like it was glass. I don't sand the veneers at all. Sand the back and sides but that veneer is 1/2 a mm thick, SO easy to go through it. Let your clear coats fill the grain rather than try to sand it smooth.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

8. Liked by: wazkelly

thanks heaps guys for all your help and tips. any day now i should receive it and im so looking forward to it. nervous. but looking forward to building a guitar for the first time. if it goes well. it will be my new hobby. lol

Nothing wrong with being prepared. Before I started work on mine, I had assembled a box of tools and materials I knew I needed. Now that we are in the internet age, theres plenty of good info online to be looked up as well.

Dedmans right, if your veneer isnt marked up, you can clearcoat it nicely, then sand the clearcoat gently and reapply till smooth.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast