Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: first build flying v

hey guys just wanted to confirm what is meant by a mock build. does thay mean i fully bolt it up together? or does it mean i just sit them together just to makes sure things fit and then atart building?
    Also the wiring diagram for this guitar FV-1G i have noticed is incorrect. the wiring diagram says this guitar has 2 pots and a 3 way switch. But this guitar has 3 pots and a 3 way switch. any advice? Help please.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by brokin009 View Post
    hey guys just wanted to confirm what is meant by a mock build. does thay mean i fully bolt it up together? or does it mean i just sit them together just to makes sure things fit and then atart building?
    Also the wiring diagram for this guitar FV-1G i have noticed is incorrect. the wiring diagram says this guitar has 2 pots and a 3 way switch. But this guitar has 3 pots and a 3 way switch. any advice? Help please.

thanks again

Basically you are just looking to confirm that everything fits where it's supposed to, and that nothing looks horribly askew.

- Pop the neck in place, see if it fits nice, for a bolt on it should be a solid fit, not ridiculously tight, but not sloppy and loose.
    - If the neck screw holes have been drilled you can pop one or two in with the neck plate, to make sure everything lines up properly. This will also tell you if the neck rout is out of whack.
    - Wrap some paper or card or rag around the bridge posts, and tail piece posts and slip them into the anchor holes, this is just to hold them firmly while you mount the bridge.
    - Take two of your tuners and pop them in the two E string positions on the headstock
    - Run the 2 e-strings from the unpackaged cheapo set that will come with the kit in their proper locations. (Make sure you either clamp the neck ni place or have a couple o the neck screws in)
    - tighten the strings enough to get them straight down the neck and then check that you have a reasonably even gap between the edge of the board and both strings all the way down the neck. if either string doesn't run parallel then you may need to adjust how the neck is siting in the pocket.

If you nudge the neck one way or the other and it doesn't improve take some photos and post them here for some further advice. If nothing seems to improve it, then you may have bigger issues and might need to contact Adam and the team at PBG for assistance.

If everything looks nice and straight, dry fit all your other bits and see if there is anything that looks wrong, or doesn't fit properly. If you aren't sure, just post up clear photos, Explaining what you are worried about and one of the Community will pop up with some advice or assistance.

Above all, don't feel bad about asking questions, don't hesitate to post for guidance as the crew that lurks on here have turned out some fantastic guitars and are always happy to help someone else do the same.

Cheers, and enjoy the experience,

EDit: Sorry about the novel!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I like to bolt everything in place (use some tape wrapped around bridge and tail piece threads rather than knocking in the inserts just yet) because if you need to adjust anything you wont run the risk of spoiling the finish.

I used this diagram
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd2hh3t12_00__91377.1470694390.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	20015
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Yup, if you want a 1v 2t setup, the diagram above is the way to go. Pretty easy to put together, too.

If youd prefer a 2v 1t arrangement, the wiring will be slightly different, but not to a great degree.

If your humbuckers only have two wires instead of four, then you only have a hot wire and a ground on each pickup to deal with.
    Last edited by Rev; 16-06-2017 at 05:09 AM.

thanks again guys. lovin this build. alot of sanding but loving hpw it is comin up.
    i also wanted to double check. once i put a couple of coats of clear on the guitar i sand it down again? is that with a fine sand paper?
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by brokin009 View Post
    thanks again guys. lovin this build. alot of sanding but loving hpw it is comin up.
    i also wanted to double check. once i put a couple of coats of clear on the guitar i sand it down again? is that with a fine sand paper?
    thanks guys
    Get 3 or 4 coats of clear on, then a light wet sand (only a couple of passes) to knock off the high spots, then you give a couple more coats and repeat until you are happy with the flatness of the clear. The more prep you put into the flat surfaces before stain and clear the better. Unless you have a veneer top, in which case don't sand it! Just let the clear do the work of filling it and flatten it.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

hey guys a little off topic of this build. i want to change the nut on my other guitar (PRS se). has anyone done one before? any tips?

Hey guys, has anyone had any trouble uploading photos on this forum? i just tried to upload photos on 2 different computers and they both failed? they are a JPG file, so i believe they should work. help please.
    I also have a question about the bridge on my guitar, as i can't upload a photo i will try to explain it. the bridge i got has 6 separate pieces that were the strings go onto, i noticed that 3 of the face one way then the other 3 face the other way, is that correct? do the top strings have the those parts face the bottom of the guitar & the lower strings have those 3 parts face the top of the guitar (neck).

And yes sorry another question, i bought the shielding kit for the guitar that is supposed to help with the buzzing. any info on how to install it? has anyone installed it before?

thanks again guys

hope this link works i got from google (the gold bridge);

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...97956315302463
    Last edited by brokin009; 19-06-2017 at 07:05 PM.

pictures have to be under 1000 pixels on the longest side .

the shielding is just copper tape so cut it with scissors to fit in the cavities under the pick ups and in the switch cavity, just peel the backing off and press it into place. It can be figety

With the bridge I have mine with the steep side toward the neck for the lower strings and it seems OK
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G