Thread: Wudtone--any warnings

Wudtone--any warnings

Going for a Wudtone Black Magin Woman finish to my RC-4 build. Think I need different product for the maple neck and the basswood body. Ringing them to find what I need on Monday.

Question is ---- is there anything I need to know about Wudtone finishes based on your experiences

I'll be following this thread.... I too am going the Wudtone route..

3. Liked by: tage

About the only advice I can give is DON'T sand the timber with too fine of a grit paper before you start to apply the Wudtone, P220-240 is where you want to stop if you're after maximum blackness (and who isn't?).
    I used the same product on an ES-2V kit, maple neck basswood body, and made the mistake of sanding up to about 600 grit thinking it would give a smoother finish at the end. It did give a smooth finish but as you can see the colour didn't take as well as hoped. My mistake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	es2v back.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	717.3 KB 
ID:	19972
    Oh, and use 1500 - 2000 grit to scuff between coats in lieu of steel wool, better yet use micromesh sanding pads.
    Hope that was some help.

Grant

Chit--down to 1000 grit already !

Did you have to rough it up or did you just keep applying. I reckon 10-20 coats does that seem about right?
    Last edited by stuzl873213; 11-06-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    A long time since I've used Wudtone and had varying success with it.... As per previous comment on sanding (220-240 grit). Also make sure the first coat is heavy and soaked/rubbed into the wood well

This was my most successful Wudtone effort (see post#14)

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...?t=2206&page=2
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Give it a once over with some 320/400 grit sandpaper. That should give it some tooth to bite into. Other than that - advice - put the lid on as soon as you've finished pouring. A little will go a long way and while Pitbull were generous in sending more out when you had a user fail, not sure if others will.

Thanks all, I will chew it up a bit with some 400 on my orbital and hand prepare with 400 before first coat.

I made a mistake with Wudtone, in the excitement to start rubbed the base coat in first... should have been the deep colour one... lesson learnt but still looks ok to me, more base coats to go on now....