Thread: RC4 Plastic edge piping

RC4 Plastic edge piping

I intend to dye/stain the body of my RC4. Question I have is whether any overrun I get on the plastic edge piping will stain it or can I just wipe it off?

Hi and welcome.

From experience of people's builds here, there's around a 50:50 chance that there will be small cracks in the binding that will take up the stain. You might be lucky and not have them, but if you do, then it's very hard to remove the staining. If you don't, the stain will just wipe off - or at worst, just need a light scrape of the binding with a sharp blade to get it back to white. So it really is best to mask off the binding if at all possible. Some people have used thin car pin-striping tape as it's flexible and bends round the curves. Others have used latex masking paint. Normal masking tape can be used when doing the sides of the guitar - but it's best to use something like Frog Tape (a decorator's tape) which has a cleaner edge to it than normal masking tape.

Quote Originally Posted by stuzl873213 View Post
    I intend to dye/stain the body of my RC4. Question I have is whether any overrun I get on the plastic edge piping will stain it or can I just wipe it off?
    If there is any discoloration of the plastic binding you can scrape it off with a razor blade, x-acto knife, utility knife, etc.

Thanks,got frog tape in the garage.

I also used frog tape and that works fine. I only had one spot where the stain came through an I used a new Stanley blade to scrape it of.
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-