Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build LP1-SP

First Build LP1-SP

It's ordered and its on its way, knowing my luck it will arrive when i am away up in Scotland next week for a few days...

Going to do a dummy fit of everything then sit and plan more for a few days before I start anything,

As the kit has a mahogany body and neck, I think I am going to do the grain filling, the sanding then either Tru Oil or Danish Oil for the sides, back and neck, the front is almost definately going to be Wudtone Cherry Flamenco, reading on this forum re the very thin veneer I think it's the glue check with meths, then a light rub over with 0000 wire wool before the Wudtone, no sanding apart from between coats. I'm going for an aged satin finish, don't really want a high gloss. I ordered the upgrade to gold hardware so think that will go well with the Cherry Flamenco

I love constructive criticism so if any of you guys think I am going the wrong way or have better knowledge than I of Tru Oil / Danish oil please shout up, keep you posted when it arrives...

Chris

Hey Chris, rough plan sounds good.

Mock build is usually done first to check your parts and bits and bobs etc.
    I usually do any of my modifications to a kit before anything else, modifications are usually only needed if you are using aftermarket parts.

I know you know but I'll say it anyway, the veneers on the front of the body and headstocks are VERY thin. try not to sand through. there have been a lot of tears on this forum over the years.

Check out my LP1-SS diary sometime. The process I followed for sanding my LP kit was:-

1. sanding 180, 240, 320 and 400 grits over the mahogany bits
    2. polished the binding with 600, 1200 then 2000 grit (to get any keying out)
    3. apply grain fill over the guitar, ok to sand off the mahogany bits as much as you want, but only use 240 to sand off the excess to the spalted cap then change to 320 to sand (you wont take too much off then).

I grain filled mine with ebony timbermate and it really popped the grain. on both the mahogany and spalted caps.

I also finished mine with tru-oil. but I didn't have access to Wudtone, doesn't Wudtone have the finish coats with the kits? have a think about trying that
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Thanks Andy

More help i get the better, Wudtone does come with a finish coat, I am only doing that on the cap, the rest just either the Tru oil or Danish oil, not decided yet.... will go have a good read of your thread

Your plans sounds good to me. I also like that aged satin finish so I'll follow your build diary to see your progress.
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Shipped on the 2nd... tracker says arrived in the UK last night, 5 days, not as long as I thought, now lets see how long the UK customs & postmen take....

Hey Chris, you never know you may get it delivered Friday or early next week. Simon Barden on the forum can probably tell you how long customs and postage took. He will be online in 2 or 3 hours time
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Yeah, had a few words with Simon already, he's given me some good advice, also told me it could be in the UK longer than it took to get here ... I'm away Tues to Thurs next week so hope it will be Monday... if not it's Friday, leaving me the weekend to tie my hands behind my back so I don't start rushing into anything lol

My experience is around a week before you get a note through the post saying you have a fee to pay. You can either pick it up from the local depot and pay there, or pay on line and it should arrive two working days later.

that sucks a bit Simon but not much you can do about the extra fees and waiting !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

No, you can't. But on the other hand, it wasn't that long ago when you'd never have even thought about buying a guitar kit from half-way around the world, let alone getting it delivered in a couple of weeks!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast