Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build LP1-SP

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Reverted to wet sanding instead and problem solved no matter how fresh the last coat was, however best to leave things for a minimum 24 hours or 48 hours in the midst of winter over here.

The trick seems to be light and delicate sanding every couple of coats, even if just to give it some tooth for the next coat to grab onto.
    absolutely spot on mate.
    why is this such a secret and why do so many recommend 0000 steel wool??

She's coming together nicely now, just about all the wiring done, neck to screw in after double checking line up, P90's to screw in.. fretboard to oil yet and tuners to fix... then we start with the set up.... bit daunting for a first time but sure we will do it.
    From the edge of the nut to centre of 12th fret is 312 mm from again centre of 12th fret to front of pick up side of bridge is 315mm, read somewhere this is called compensation, a couple of mm out doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure the nut is going to need some workwhen I run a string through (can't tighten them yet as the tuners aren't fixed properly) the string seems high
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0009 [Guitar].jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	20978  

Looking good Chrissy - the top looks like it has an ancient flint arrowhead on it which is very cool!
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Great work and love the colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

looking excellent Chrissy, you got to be happy with how it looks !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

loving the look, can't wait to see what you think of the P90's
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Thanks for the comments gents, I'm pretty pleased with how the first one is turning out albeit a few mistakes / imperfections,

Hopefully this weekend I will make a noise with it, I say noise because I cannot play... 2 learning curves at the same time, building a guitar and learning to play... Totally loved the whole process so far,

8. Liked by: OliSam

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyinbkk View Post
    Hopefully this weekend I will make a noise with it, I say noise because I cannot play... 2 learning curves at the same time, building a guitar and learning to play... Totally loved the whole process so far,
    That's AWESOME! Good on you mate!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyinbkk View Post
    Thanks for the comments gents, I'm pretty pleased with how the first one is turning out albeit a few mistakes / imperfections,

Haha welcome to the club, im definately better at building guitars than playing them, my playing consists of an 8 chord repertoire playing along to my fav songs, but hey i love it, so keep up the good work
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Can't remember the last time I have felt so elated, finished all the wiring, screwed in the P90's, and plugged her into the amp for a test with the screwdriver, yeeehhhaaaa, all working, had the 3 way switch upside down but that was easily solved, luckily enough left a bit of spare wire in the cavity. Had a sinking feeling beforehand that my soldering was going to let me down but nope....

The neck pickup isn't sat square but guess that is easily solved with a shimmer of packing at one side, I might have them sat too fqr down on top of the wires, we will find out. 3 way switch cover sits a little proud at one side, another easy one to remedy. Neck will go on tomorrow then we will try set it all up properly

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast