Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcel's ES-1TL

Mmmm that might be a candidate for a thin sliver of veneer or somthing above the binding. It does look particularly poo, and its in a spot you can't fail to notice.
    The timber mate might work, Tape off your binding and then smooth it in. Use a maple or a neutral coloured one and see how it goes?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hey Marcel, if the photo on the right the neck is flush in the pocket I would glue about a 1.5mm thick shim of wood in the gap. You will need to sand it down to the right thickness so the heel is flush with the bottom of the shim. Glue and clamp the shim and let dry overnight, then you can glue the neck in when you are down the track.

EDIT I just had a look at the left photo, the missing part is too small to shim so I would try a similar colour timbermate. As Franky says tape off the binding so will be less cleaning up
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 08-06-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Rather than just try to fit something on the body over to cover up the gap you could add some veneer-thickness wood to the complete heel and build up the heel depth so that it meets the binding and covers up the gap. A lot of guitars have a heel-cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Rather than just try to fit something on the body over to cover up the gap you could add some veneer-thickness wood to the complete heel and build up the heel depth so that it meets the binding and covers up the gap. A lot of guitars have a heel-cap.
    Good call actually Simon, probably a lot easier to effect than timber mate and fussin'
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

The photo with the neck fitted is probably a bit of a lie really as the neck is not fully home, but it does highlight the issue.

I like Simon's idea of a cap. I'll hunt around tomorrow and see if I can come up with some that will look decent...

hi marcel, I had a similar issue with the same model and used some glue with some sanded dust seemed to work. mine plays great, good luck

I'd go with Simon as well. And I hope that one day your grandkids are playing on this guitar and enjoy themselves!
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Nil progress on my build today, but this evening found this.... a little bit of cranked ES for the listening thereof...

http://societyofrock.com/gary-clark-...ryClarkjr-ILCR

It's very good. I bought a couple of his albums after seeing some Facebook posts of his songs by friends. To me that song has a very Lenny Kravitz vibe to it.

As I wanted to have the headstock essentially done before fitting the neck and staining I had to stop all work on the build until my replacement tuners arrived. So in the mean time I have been working on my Alder SD Hotrails Strat....and it is near complete with only setup, nut work and intonation to be done to see it to completion.... :-)

Well, my Kluson vintage tuners arrived today, so tomorrow will be a headstock shaping and drilling day. I got a offcut of Pine and did a trial run fit to make sure I could get them straight and the ferules fit the 6 holes I drill nicely, After 2 attempts on the Pine and lots learned, and I'm confident my single shot at the headstock should go well.

Last Sunday my daughter visited my luthery workshop.... and convinced me I should make my ES-1TL build essentially a deep Blue... but she also conceded that a light wash of Green under the Blue would certainly give it a very unique colour...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast