Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kit Conversion Kits?

Kit Conversion Kits?

So I saw the Fender VI post in the New Kit Idea forum category, and I thought about a thread I read on the Offset Guitars forum a ways back:

EB-0 to Bass VI

It got me thinking, "can't PBG just make little edits to their SGB-34 kit to make it a bass VI?"

Just replace the bridge holes with a Tune-o-matic bridge, and remove the tuner holes in the headstock so one could drill their own 6 holes for 6 mini bass tuners. Maybe replace the pickups with standard humbuckers, or something?

It'd be minimal effort, and you get a whole new product out of it. And as far as orders, Eastwood guitars did a Bass VI product in their custom project crowdfunding department here. The Bass VI is one of their most well-funded projects lately, and that's because the Bass VI market is vast, but typically silent until something big comes along, like the Squier Bass VI and the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI models from 2013. Just something to consider, I suppose.

What are your thoughts on an SG Bass VI?

changing kits depends on numbers to make it cost effective. However, your request isn't complicated and if you wanted such a kit shoot an email to Adam for a custom order.

Perhaps having the tuner holes pre-drilled could be offered as an 'optional extra'?

cheers, Mark.

It would probably be easier to just do a custom build version of the SGB-34.
    Request it to have a blank headstock paddle, and no bridge holes drilled so you can use what ever bridge you want.
    It will add to the delivery time, but should be workable.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Maybe it'd be easier for this build specifically, but kit alterations would be a fun idea if it could be done post-production after kits arrive at PBG HQ. Kind of like the ibdividual necks sold on the site, how you can pay an upcharge to have them in the kit instead, or something.. except more kit specific. I dunno, I'm just spitballing. Once I get my custom RC-4 kit in the mail maybe I'll start customizing the SGB-34 for my next build.

...but I want to make an RD bass too... and a 5 string Jazz... and a hollow body bass... and one of the new SG juniors... ugh. Too many projects on my wish list. Someone else do one while I'm working on my RC-4!

hahahhaa elcody. Make a list, number them, start at the top and work on down LOL. I think I'm about 1/2 way through my list.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Classic elcody. So many kits I also still need to build.....
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    Classic elcody. So many kits I also still need to build.....
    Careful on that line of thought...that way lies madness...
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

you know what they say - once you build one kit... you want to build them all!

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    you know what they say - once you build one kit... you want to build them all!
    Yeah, i just didn't realise it meant build them all at once. I really should priortise builds.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast