Thread: Intonation set but first fret way out of tune

Intonation set but first fret way out of tune

I have finished the build on a IB-1 and found that I cannot tune it.

The intonation has been set but when the first fret is held down eg b string first fret is nearly c#. E and E are nearly f#,
    I have removed the shim under the nut thinking the nut was to high, this helped a bit. I've also adjusted the truss rod so that the strings are just not buzzing.

I have placed a block of wood on the floyd rose so it cannot move, after I get it tuned then I will work on tuning with the floyd rose released.

Does anyone have an idea how I proceed? Has anyone else built one that can be tuned?
    Is it possible the nut should be moved away?

Is it possible the nut is in the wrong location? Other ideas, maybe shim the neck joint to flatten the neck to the body
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1496401879212156803134.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	536.1 KB 
ID:	19814 itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170602_210630.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	461.1 KB 
ID:	19815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170602_210626.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	449.2 KB 
ID:	19816

Cheers

Geoff
    Last edited by Lemonpoet; 02-06-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: More info

I'd be checking the neck interval measurements, sounds like they could be way out. ( which would be odd )

Or maybe not, my first thought was nut height but maybe this is ok'ish based on your first post.

Thanks, I will be buying a metal ruler tomorrow to measure, found a good web site which has the measurements. For my 646 mm scale neck

I have noticed that the neck is bent up towards the nut so I thought of putting the shim back under the nut and removing the bow with the truss rod.

All fixed, I have been to heavy handed, the pressure of my fingers can dramatically affect the tuning.

Neck relief has been set better and with a light touch, all frets are perfect.

Now to start playing lightly 😀 And in tune.

Glad you got it sorted. Now you've added pictures, it was plain that the neck had far too much relief. But it was an easy fix and you did it yourself. You should be able to get the neck relief nearly flat, with only a slight concave bow in it. The lower the action is, the less force you need to press down on the strings and so the more in tune the notes will be.

Since the IB-1 Kit looks like it uses a Fender 25.5 Inch Scale on it's neck, you can try using the following method to set the neck relief and the action at the 17th fret, firstly you will need the following tools:

* Allen Keys to fit the Truss Rod and Bridge Pivot-Posts.

* Phillips Head Screwdriver for removing the Truss Rod Cover.

* Capo to put just behind the first fret on the fretboard.

* Set of Automotive Feeler Gauges (make sure it has at least one marked .010 Inch).

* 300mm Steel Ruler.

Method:

Step 1, First make sure you have your guitar tuned up to pitch and that the bridge is sitting with it's base parallel to the front surface of the body, if it is angled a bit forward or backwards, then use the screwdriver to adjust the tension on the springs till the bridge is sitting parallel.

Step 2, Use the Steel Ruler to check the action at the 17th fret, you want a gap of at least 2.5mm between the top of the 17th fret and the bottom of the string for both the low and high E-Strings, use an Allen Key to adjust the two Bridge Pivot-Posts till the gap is 2.5mm.

Step 3, Next, making sure that your guitar is tuned up to pitch, put a Capo on the neck between the Locking Nut and the 1st fret, fret the low E-String at the 17th fret and use a .010 Inch Feeler Gauge to check the gap at the 8th fret, use an Allen key tighten or loosen the truss-rod till the .010 Inch Feller gauge just fits between the top of the 8th fret and the bottom of the E-string, and with the E -String just touching the feeler gauge, do the same for the high E-String, adjusting the tension on the truss-rod as necessary.

Hopefully that should get the neck relief adjusted correctly and then the fretted note at the 1st fret should be in tune.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 07-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.