Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amp head and Cab opinions wanted

Amp head and Cab opinions wanted

Hi,

looking for user opinions on amp heads - ideally somthing like a Micro Terror or Vox MV50.
    I wanna upgrade from my old Valvestate VS30r - just for home use, recording and shed jamming. the valvetste struggles with loud drumming.

I was thinking of making a 1 x 12 cab or even 2 x 12, maybe even 10's depending on price. on a budget as usual. (also saving for a LP kit )

please tell me your thoughts and opions and even good websites to buy from.

regards
    Guv

mate i think one of the best course of action would be to go to a guitar store and try as many smaller amps as you can, they are so different from each other.
    Having said that - the micro terror is cool. the Vox night trains seem cool... enjoy the search

Overlord of Music
    Both the Vox and the Orange you mention have solid state power amps and, like the Valvestate, the Orange has a tube pre amp, so the Tiny Terror will probably be less powerful volume wise than the Marshall.

A 2x12 cab might make up for that. Bigger speakers push more air.

A move to an all tube amp, such as the Night Train that Stan mentioned, will give you a significant volume increase even though the "wattage" has gone down to 15w.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

4. Liked by: Guvna19

You can also go online and check out some demo videos on youtube too, I reckon the Micro Terror is a pretty good little amp for what it is, but as what one other forum member has said in this thread, there's no substitute for going to a music shop and trying out the amps for yourself, if you do that make sure that you bring your guitar with you to the shop since that's going to give you the best idea of what the amp is going to sound like in your shed.

6. Liked by: Guvna19

I have a Tiny Terror and a Vox VTX20 (that I beheaded and made into a head unit) . The Vox sounds significantly better feeding a 12 inch quality speaker instead of the 10 inch no brand that was in the cabinet. I prefer the Orange clean tone going into a 12 inch Jensen Falcon over anything I can get with the Vox's modelling software.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

The vox head i been lookin at appears to be pretty new, cost round $330.00, i'm hopin somone here has one or heard them Vox MV50

http://www.voxamps.com/MV50

They have only been out a few months, haven't seen one in a store yet, a few reviews on line for them but I haven't seen one yet from someone who isn't in the business of selling them LOL (yea I'm very cynical about reviews). that 50w rating is at 4 ohm, so its about 25 into an 8 ohm speaker btw
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Guitarist magazine video demo here. They gave all three versions 9/10, which is above average.

Always difficult to know exactly how loud these things go but I'd suggest a 4-ohm 2x12 cab for maximum output. The printed review stated that though a 4x12 it was loud enough for small gigs. As most 4x12s are 16 ohms, that's closer to a 17W output (though in reality that's only about 3dB down on the full 50W in terms of power output and a lot more variation in volume will come from the chosen speaker's efficiency.

Walk with care on the box impedence and make sure you fully understand your amps specs, my big amp is 100W RMS into 4 ohms and I left my brain outside the door when I wired my quad box of 8 ohm speakers in parallel and blew the output stage into the weeds.

@Simon. The big amp is an H||H IC-100S handwired MOSFT amp made in the UK a million years ago and is something of a rarity these days, however at our weekly recording get together I discovered my mates son's Laney amp has an H||H speaker, Laney bought up all the old H||H stock back then but the brand has resurfaced mainly in the PA area which is where they started.

My Fender Mustang is rated into 8 ohms and nothing below so through the quad in series parallel it is massive.

BTW. the four Eminence speakers in the quad are good for 700W RMS as a combo 2x200 & 2x150 so I'm certainly not worried about them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast