Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wood dye or water based stain with Tru-Oil?

Yeah Pabs, building is a tactile thing

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    That's a good one too Stan. I do this all the time without really thinking about it.
    Yep, if no other solution presents itself, the touch test works well.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Would rubbing alcohol work for raising the grain and re-sanding? Or is it worth it to do this? Would this have any effect on stain and oil application afterwards? Also is 400 grit or 600 grit too smooth for application of stain and tru-oil? Perhaps I should do a rougher sanding with 180 or 220 grit?

I would suggest you get yourself some Minwax woodstain preparation. Which exact product you need depends on the type of stain you are using. Water based or Oil based. If you chose a water based stain then any wood treatment and/or has to be the same family. Water based or Oil based.

Don't use rubbing alcohol. It will suck all the natural moisture out of the wood & will most likely lead to splotchy spots after you stain.

The tru-oil site says to use a water based stain. What does the minwax prep do? Curious. Hitting the building supply place tomorrow for sure. Excited to see these necks come to life.

Reading about it now. So I think the process will be .. water based prep, light sanding with 220 grit, apply walnut water based stain to get the right tint, light sanding, when I get the right tint, apply tru-oil. Thanks so much for the tips guys. It is really appreciated.

On more question guys .. tru-oil on the rosewood fingerboard too? Or leave it as is? Both necks are currently unfinished.

Go with something like Lemonoil for the fretboard.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Overlord of Music
    On the neck, sanding up to 600 or 800 would be preferable. As the main point of contact on the guitar, the finer sanded the better.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast