Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thijs' Les Paul that was supposed to be green...

Thijs' Les Paul that was supposed to be green...

Well, my first post in this build diary will be a kind of a recap.

I’ve ordered a Les Paul with a flamed maple top & the gold hardware with cream-colored covers. Took a few weeks to arrive at my door in the Netherlands, so I had time to find out what I would make of it.

I decided to go green, like this one.

I had the opportunity to make my own stain-color with pigments at my work, because I’m in interiorbuilding & I came up with a color that looks a lot like what I had in mind. (note that the example is on a piece of ash, not on flamed maple…)

After first staining it black & then sanding it down again, I started to notice I sanded it too much… But I still wanted to see what it looked like with the green stain & 1 quick layer of clear.

As you can see I wasn’t too happy about the result… And that’s putting it mildly…

But I didn’t want to moarn about the loss to much, so I quickly covered it with a primer.

And that’s where I am right now…

So my plan has changed completely.
    Now I planning on putting on a midnight-blue with a brown stained back & then polish the crap out of it. I thought it would look good with the gold hardware & the cream-colored covers.

Luckily I can do a lot the next few days because of a holliday overhere. So hopfully next week all of my green nightmares are gone.

To be continued…

I'm sorry the green flame finish didn't work out. Hopefully you'll like a solid colour in the end. Doing a dyed/stained finish on kits can be tricky due to the thickness of the veneer. When I did my Les Paul I stopped sanding sooner than I wanted to because I was paranoid about going through the veneer so I didn't get as much pop to my flame as I would have liked.

For what it's worth your primer looks like a pretty unique weird and cool finish for a guitar. You could always try that out.

Ouch. That's a tough lesson to learn Thijs, but it sound like you have a really cool recover plan in place!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Overlord of Music
    That sucks, I know the pain of sanding through. Save that green though, it looks fantastic!
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

5. Liked by: wazkelly

It always hurts to start again, but i agree, that green is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CascadiaGuitarGeek View Post
    I'm sorry the green flame finish didn't work out. Hopefully you'll like a solid colour in the end. Doing a dyed/stained finish on kits can be tricky due to the thickness of the veneer. When I did my Les Paul I stopped sanding sooner than I wanted to because I was paranoid about going through the veneer so I didn't get as much pop to my flame as I would have liked.

For what it's worth your primer looks like a pretty unique weird and cool finish for a guitar. You could always try that out.
    Haha! Yeah, the first primer coat looked pretty…. well, unique.
    Because i’ve almost sanded through the veneer I got a few potholes in the top, so that had to be flattened out first. But it’s all smooth now.

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    That sucks, I know the pain of sanding through. Save that green though, it looks fantastic!
    Haha! I won’t trow away the green.
    One day there will be a green stained one in my yet to create collection. One day…

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Ouch. That's a tough lesson to learn Thijs, but it sound like you have a really cool recover plan in place!
    It’s my first try, but I didn’t thought the veneer to be that thin!
    With any luck I can put on the color for the top today. Very curious on how it will look. Hopefully I can forget the failed green stain…

I too know what its like to have to start again. sorry to hear about that. I hope it turns out great, I'm sure it will.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

What a bugger! Great green, but sounds like your plan b will be just as great (midnight blue with gold and cream sounds very appealing)
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Bummer on sanding through but that is always a chance when sanding flame top veneers.

Just wondering what colour the timber was underneath as maybe that would have looked good enough with your green stain unless of course you are now too far down the path of doing a solid midnight blue.

Cheers, Waz
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by Thijs View Post
    Well, my first post in this build diary will be a kind of a recap.

I’ve ordered a Les Paul with a flamed maple top & the gold hardware with cream-colored covers. Took a few weeks to arrive at my door in the Netherlands, so I had time to find out what I would make of it.

I decided to go green, like this one.

I had the opportunity to make my own stain-color with pigments at my work, because I’m in interiorbuilding & I came up with a color that looks a lot like what I had in mind. (note that the example is on a piece of ash, not on flamed maple…)

After first staining it black & then sanding it down again, I started to notice I sanded it too much… But I still wanted to see what it looked like with the green stain & 1 quick layer of clear.

As you can see I wasn’t too happy about the result… And that’s putting it mildly…

But I didn’t want to moarn about the loss to much, so I quickly covered it with a primer.

And that’s where I am right now…

So my plan has changed completely.
    Now I planning on putting on a midnight-blue with a brown stained back & then polish the crap out of it. I thought it would look good with the gold hardware & the cream-colored covers.

Luckily I can do a lot the next few days because of a holliday overhere. So hopfully next week all of my green nightmares are gone.

To be continued…
    I did the exact same thing on my 1st lp-1 made a real dogs ass out of it soon learnt not to do the black sand back on a veneer, was actually looking at it today for what i will do with it as got some time on my hands

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast