Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Morin Khuur try out electric concept

Morin Khuur try out electric concept

While waiting for parts for my other build, I thought I would make a start on the Morin Khuur (Mongolian Horse Fiddle) electric concept idea. I have a traditional Morin Khuur (my wife is Mongolian) and have been trying to learn this awkward instrument for some time now. Despite having only 2 strings it is a nightmare to tune with its wooden friction pegs and multi strand horsehair strings, although mine are now the more modern nylon (130 strand for Morin, the male or stallion string, B flat) 105 strand for Khuur the female or mare string, F)
    Although the instrument is beginning to surface in modern music, Jonon, The Hu etc , it is still mainly an acoustic instrument mic'd or fitted with piezo's etc. Fingering technique is somewhat alien to my western fingers as strings are about 15 to 20 mm above the finger board and are pinched or pushed with the fingernail while bowing in a sort of cello fashion (holding the bow upside down so as to be able to put pressure on the hairs from the inside) sitting with the instrument on the lap.
    My masterplan is to create a similar instrument, solid bodied and electric, with flat-wound strings close to the fretless fingerboard. I will follow some traditional cues and westernise where it feels right to do so. I have used a 24" scale, my traditional one is 23 1/8"
    I started with a fairly small lump of Spalted Ash and a length of Sapele for the neck. I was concentrating so much in getting the 3 degree neck lay back that I made the neck pocket a bit wide (doh!) so fillers already. The neck is bolt on to allow modifications if needed. The body will grow a bit as side wings are added to give the traditional trapezoidal shape, I will extend the back end by about the same amount. The angle of the neck is to get the strings at the bowing area away from the body, there will also be some relief to the body to accommodate the bow. The 2 string bridge will be mounted on a riser for the same reason.
    I have temporarily set some bass tuners, the 3rd tuner hole is for a non sounding 3rd damped string that will start in a ferrule in the neck pocket and will run in a slot under the neck, it will be used to counter the tension in the neck in the absence of a truss rod, if indeed it is needed.
    This is really just a project that popped into my head one sleepless night, we will see where it goes, but s the saying goes I'm playing this one by ear
    first pic my traditional instrument, 2nd and 3rd the initial fabrication including fillets to correct idiocy, 4th and 5th, the neck set back angle
    MK1 (2).JPG (89.7 KB)
    MK1 (3).JPG (85.4 KB)
    MK1 (4).JPG (82.3 KB)
    MK1 (6).JPG (65.1 KB)
    MK1 (5).JPG (62.7 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK1 (2).JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	34791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK1 (3).JPG 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	34792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK1 (4).JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	34793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK1 (5).JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	34795  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have never seen one of these before, but it looks like an awesome project. Are they traditionally hollow-bodied?

That's awesome! Non-Western stringed instruments will always turn my head.
    I'm more into Middle Eastern stuff, but definitely appreciate this.
    My other half is a bit of a fan of The Hu.

Keep the updates coming!

Thats Great! I have wanted one for a while, love their sound.
    I have a Chinese Erhu in my collection which is very similar!

Yes traditionally a hollow body acoustic and the sound is awesome, mellow, haunting and powerful. My idea is to try and emulate some of that with a more guitar feel and playability. The possibility of adding effects such as wah, distortion, chorus etc may make it interesting too, but I’m getting ahead of myself. We will see if it’s actually playable first!

Does the action have to be quite so high? I'd imagine that it could be lowered if you really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Does the action have to be quite so high? I'd imagine that it could be lowered if you really wanted.
    I believe they're traditionally played with the back of your fret hand fingernail against the string like a slide. That being the case, you want the fret board to be way back out of the way.

Yes it’s quite a different way to stop the strings, interesting that you compared to a slide as just been talking to a pal from my old band and he suggested a bottleneck and Ebow! Could get interesting ....

Have now fitted the Ash stepped side wings and back end to get me dimensionally to the correct planform size. I stepped it as there will be some material removed from the main body anyway to accommodate the bowing action, also, in my head this started as a project to westernise this instrument and I used the slab and neck that I was planning to make a solid cigar box guitar with. So, in some ways this will always show its roots and where its come from, linking East and West. (making it up as I go along )
    I also fitted the bridge riser and through body bridge, bolting through to a 6mm brass block and string anchor. I used a piece of M5 studding with a nylock nut, eventually I will replace with a brass M5 screw when I get one long enough.
    Work on the headstock saw the addition of the third machine head to "back tension" the neck and also the traditional horses head. I picked this one up at a junk sale and quite like it as it is looking a little bit side ways, almost a bit disapproving
    I have mounted the pickup surrounds prior to rebating for the pups themselves, I will be using two telecaster neck pups and a telecaster control plate behind the bridge, across the body
    Loads more to do and am mocking up to test prior to any finishing work
    Pics, current front and rear , headstock detail
    MK2 (1).JPG (111.4 KB)
    MK2 (3).JPG (88.2 KB)
    MK2 (2).JPG (81.5 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK2 (1).JPG 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	34834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK2 (3).JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	34835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK2 (2).JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	34836  

If you're going for the previously mentioned 20mm action, will the bridge be high enough and will the pickups be close enough to the strings to work if the bridge is higher?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast