Thread: Hi!

Hi!

Hi,

Have just purchased a p bass kit (4 string with maple fretboard). Am fairly experienced when it comes to fixing and setup (I have just finished sorting out an 80's mij p bass from cashies that needed serious work) but have never tackled a kit build.

Main reason I got one is as a test bed and practice piece. Was offered a fender mij p bass 62 reissue neck so after considering options I have come up with a plan to build a bass with a stunning spalted maple top but with a rear route. The main reason I want a rear route is so I don't have to have a pick guard and can let the spalt shine.

Onto my kit build my plans for it are to build in a solder free pickup swapping, going to finish it with some crimson guitars finishing oil with a white stain. Am also going to test out mixing in some glow in the dark green powder to the finishing oil on some off cuts to see if I can get it to glow but in the light it's just going to be a clear wood finish.

As for myself I play bass with a local thrash band in Darwin called Assailant. In my previous band I have been pretty much the guitar tech and I have fixed or setup at least 50 odd guitars and basses in my time. Can't wait to get building.

Hi Burn George (love your username haha)
    plans sound excellent. Start a build diary when the kit arrives and ask any questions you have there. There is plenty of help on the forum. Sounds like you have enough experience with re-furb work and setting up guitars and basses.
    Best of luck and look forward to seeing progress.

Dr Nomis on the forum has been the only bloke on the forum from Darwin for years and now he has a building buddy he will be stoked !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I'll have to borrow all his tools lol. TBH been doing work for around a decade often for cheap so a build is probably overdue. Really looking forward to getting cracking and building up my skill set. Working on wood though is new for me so might need a little guidance but done a bit of research and am confident.

Also am considering starting up a guitar repair business as a sideline and actually trying to get some more work as I get the occasional job. As a father of a young girl I would love to have a good business for her to grow up with and learn and maybe take over if she wants. Seriously can't wait till she's old enough for dad/daughter projects.

Thanks. It's going to be going through a high end phase and then back to a more pov spec. Like I said it's going to be a test bed and practice run for the real project.

Welcome and have fun with your bass build.

(I don't see the fun in your username....)
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Hi bgb welcome
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H