Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lookin' for a lefty who wants a reverse headstock deal.

What tools would i get away with making a neck? I have a jigsaw, dremel, power drill and thats it really
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    What tools would i get away with making a neck? I have a jigsaw, dremel, power drill and thats it really
    You'd want to have access to a good bench plane and a router. Maybe a spokeshave and Shinto rasp for shaping.

It really is going to depend on which way you want to go, single plank neck like a Fender, or a laminated scarf joint like an ibanez or a Gibbo. Accuracy and squareness are critical so you really need to measure three times and cut/plane once.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Cork sniffer, if it's the string spacing, then you could always try fitting a 43mm nut (Fender say 42.8mm on their web site) which should have the wider string spacing and file off 0.5mm from each end before you fit it.

Hey Andy40, sorry been away from the forum a bit and just saw this.
    Sorry mate, to be honest, I just dont get the whole reverse headstock thing, and it's not really my bag. They are certainly eye catching though.
    I'm sure if you run this by Ads you can work something out. I dont have any lefty necks from other things either as I tend to have bought kits with 3x3 head stocks - if i had one you could have it, sorry mate.

Great idea though, surely some other lefties on site might go for this

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Cork sniffer, if it's the string spacing, then you could always try fitting a 43mm nut (Fender say 42.8mm on their web site) which should have the wider string spacing and file off 0.5mm from each end before you fit it.
    Yep, thanks for your input, I did exactly that today and it feels much better.
    Sorry to get off track re the left hand neck.
    Half of this was saved from a garbage bin, only big $ part is the 920D loaded pick guard.
    Only a little buzz on D string at 18th fret to correct and it's finished.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170520_231433 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	19459

Nice find! Glad you're now happier with the neck. I know that even small changes in neck dimensions can make things feel uncomfortable. I really can't stand PRS's standard wide-fat neck shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice find! Glad you're now happier with the neck. I know that even small changes in neck dimensions can make things feel uncomfortable. I really can't stand PRS's standard wide-fat neck shape.
    As said previously I'm a reasonably new player and old so my progress is super slow. I've reached the point where I can feel the difference from one neck to another. Only recently it hit me how flat my Danelectro fingerboard is, I don't even try any more to play my wife's Rickie, way too narrow for me. She does have a Schecter that is very thin and I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Hey Andy40, sorry been away from the forum a bit and just saw this.
    Sorry mate, to be honest, I just dont get the whole reverse headstock thing, and it's not really my bag. They are certainly eye catching though.
    I'm sure if you run this by Ads you can work something out. I dont have any lefty necks from other things either as I tend to have bought kits with 3x3 head stocks - if i had one you could have it, sorry mate.

Great idea though, surely some other lefties on site might go for this
    No worries Stan, I was just putting it out there. Thanks for replying though.

BTW, I thought you were getting/working on a hardtail strat? If so hows it coming along?
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    No worries Stan, I was just putting it out there. Thanks for replying though.

BTW, I thought you were getting/working on a hardtail strat? If so hows it coming along?
    There was a major problem with the kit neck and Ads said it wasn't worth sending. It was one of the PBG prototype ones that were being tested by some. So it didn't get built. Ads suggested he may be able to send me an alternative in the future, but if it doesnt come about for some reason then no worries.
    I have a couple of scratch builds going and will put them up when drive overcomes busyness and laziness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3