Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: H's ES-1GT

I don't think its a problem H, I have a similar gap in my EXA with a set neck.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Your bottom E is going to be the furthest saddle back, so it's always best to use the top E for scale measurement. I'm sure the ES-1 I fettled for someone else had a gap behind the neck tongue. With after-market pickups, the cable often comes out on the low E side of the pickup, so the gap is a good place to rout the cable through within the cavity.

OK, great. Thanks guys! Big relief. Guess I'll get to sanding tomorrow.

I was sure I'd ordered this kit without pickups, but it came with pickups, and checking back over the receipt, I didn't say no pickups. So now I have 2 spare humbuckers. Maybe I'll build a shovel guitar or something else silly with them.

Glue spots removed, I think I got them all. Got some sanding done.

How on earth do I hang this body up to dry once there's finish on it? My usual coathanger through the output rout isn't going to work here.
    Last edited by UpperCaseH; 21-05-2017 at 04:54 PM.

I usually put a hook into the hole where the strap button will ultimately go, and hang the guitar neck down.... a hook shaped like a ? with a thread similar in size to the strap button. I have various light duty chains hanging down from the roof of my shed, which chain I choose depends on how long I want to leave it to hang or dry...

I've got a few semi-permanent ropes for hanging stuff, but I never thought of using the strap button holes for hooks. That's why I love this forum - I keep getting advice that I'd never have thought of.

Other people have used a G-clamp that is clamped between the two pickup cavities and hung the body up from that (and used it as a handle as well). As long as it's clamped reasonable tightly it's quite safe.

it's getting there H, these are great looking kits

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Other people have used a G-clamp that is clamped between the two pickup cavities and hung the body up from that (and used it as a handle as well). As long as it's clamped reasonable tightly it's quite safe.
    This is the way I'm doing right now. Works fine
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Works like a charm!

Having a "handle" was extremely helpful while getting the timbermate on, too. So much easier. Gonna do this on every guitar from now on.

Timbermate's on, no pics because the light's terrible today and it just looks like a blobby blur.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast