Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: H's ES-1GT

Kit's shipped, so I'm putting together a list of extra parts and sundries, going over the stuff I already have (found some "vintage" metal braided/shielded cable!), emailing dingo bass about a colour, etc.

500k pots are the accepted norm for humbuckers, yeah? Might replace all the pots while I'm doing the push-pulls, so the list is currently 2x 500k push/pull log pots for volume and 2x 500k lin pots for tone. Sound right?

Your pot selection is fine. Tone pots can be either log or lin depending on personal preference. Log is probably best if you like to roll just a little bit of high-end off (as this makes it more controllable over an initial wider range of knob movement) and lin if you like to really knock back the highs quickly.

OK, everything sorted except the finish.

Pots and stuff ordered, sockets and wires etc found, nut blanks recovered from the back of the drawer, and a friend's practically giving me a set of Tonerider AC2s that he installed, used for a day, and removed again.

Now I've just got to do the hardest bit - waiting for it all to arrive!

Extras arrived yesterday, kit arrived today. Impressed by the figure on the wood and the smoothness of the body - the nicest one I've seen.

I might just looking at it wrong, but I think the neck pickup rout is in the wrong spot, maybe. Seems like it's about 5-10mm too far forward, so the pickup won't fit in it and behind the fretboard at the same time.

I thought about taking a small block of wood in behind the neck heel, but after measuring the nut > 12th fret and 12th fret > bridge distances with the neck and bridge dry fitted and finding that they match already, I don't want to do that.

If I'm not just looking at this wrong, I think I lack the tools to fix it. Help?

6. Liked by: OliSam

Can you please post your actual scale measurements: nut face to crown/peak of 12th fret wire and then 12th crown to high e saddle with the bridge sitting in position. Best to double-check before we try to offer advice.
    Scott.

Sorry Weirdy, should have done that already. I hope measuring to the low E saddle is ok, because that's what I've done in the past and that's what I did this time. I can pull it all back out of the box and do it again on the high e if necessary. Image heavy post incoming.

Measurements are:
    Nut > 12th fret: 31.25cm.
    Bridge > 12th fret 31.6cm with the neck flush up against the back of the pickup rout so the pickup doesn't fit ("Neck Back")
    Bridge > 12th fret 32.2cm with the neck forward in the pocket so that the pickup will fit ("Neck Forward").

"Neck back"

This is the 31.6cm bridge > 12th distance, but the pickup doesn't fit.

"Neck Forward"

This is the 32.2cm bridge > 12th distance, with the pickup able to fit. I'm not sure it will be strong enough with that gap there though, and it seems like too much difference in the distances.

Neck pocket and heel dimensions, in case it matters

Triple posting...

I may have worried prematurely. Just noticed that the bridge saddles are all the way back. They probably adjust enough to make the distances line up properly with the neck "forward", I'll pull it back out of the box and re-measure later on today.

That still leaves me wondering if it's OK for that gap to be there between the neck heel and center block with the neck "forward" though. None of the other semihollow kits I've seen around the net have a gap there.

OK, cool. With the neck forward in the pocket so the pickup fits and the saddles nearly all the way forward, the high E saddle is 31.3cm from the nut. All good.

That still leaves a ~7mm gap between the back of the neck heel and the back of the pocket. If that's not a problem, I'll get started on the sanding tomorrow. If it is a problem, what's the best way to fix it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast