Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: June GOTM

Right - entries are well and truly closed - sorry guys - graphics card on my PC died a couple of days ago. Only lasted 7 years - you'd think they make these things to last . I'll be letting the judges know and do their thing.

B

Quote Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
    Hi, This is my Desert Burst LP-1ML. The stains I have used were the Feast Watson 50 ml Proof tint bottles, Golden Teak and Japan Brown, I did use a little black stain right on the edge to help with the transition.
    Finish is Cabots Polyurethane Gloss.
    Upgraded Grover Deluxe Tuners
    Upgraded Wiring harness, pots, Jack and toggle switch (Quick connect and coil tapping as used in the Epiphone Pro series)
    Upgraded Pick ups Epiphone Probucker.
    Plays and sounds great.
    Hope you enjoy.
    mr Martin that is just a beautiful guitar and this is how you do a burst

Konstantina, That is truly breathtaking.

I'm handing in My Sandpaper......
    I would never join a club that would have a member like me.....

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    mr Martin that is just a beautiful guitar and this is how you do a burst
    Agree with that. First class result.

Also thanks for the tip: I'll be using FW Golden Teak for my Squier Bronco Mod.

cheers, Mark.

Wow for this month! Great builds
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

And so to the comments....
    Marcel's LP-1SSP
    Tasteful, elegantly finished LP. More flame than spalt on that particular top and the finish works beautifully with it. Jarrrah stain on the back works well too. I wonder if the hardware with the black P90's is a little too much black for the finish, but I think cream and chrome would be too much in the other direction. Regardless, I want to pick it up and start playing.

Love the colour scheme with black hardware acting as a contrast. Don’t see many P90 LP’s built and has some tasty upgrades too. Well done.

This is a great example of what can be achieved with mostly stock PBG Kit. Marcel has overcome glue spot issues, cyclone Debbie and many, many layers of Shellac on all spalted caps is not an easy task. The black hardware mounted on his own mix of yellow/brown dye really grabs the features of that spalted maple. I can resist the allure of those soapbar P90's, I can almost hear them.

Very nice finish which must reflect a lot of sanding and polishing time, it paid off big time. The finish shows off the spault really well.

A classic lookand nicely done. Black hardware always looks good on these. Some nice mods to increase the goodness. Looks great withg P90s

Very impressed. Classic & beautiful. Could have benefitted from a less angular truss rod cover (future upgrade possibility). And you love to play it, which is a great bonus.

Billb's JBA-4
    Wow, great modifications and body shaping set off perfectly with that wicked custom pickguard (very batarang). The body colour with the black pickguard echoing its shape just works so well. Really nice result.

Radical pointy re-shaped horns look fantastic as does the custom bat shaped scratch plate and unique headstock shape. Lots of hardware upgrades plus abalone dot markers. Looks like a ripper Bass.

Fantastic Bass and a great homage to those that have inspired Billb. Original re-shaping of the body and headstock is great and what can I say about that pickguard! Classic DT Coolangatta Gold and grain pop. nice.

Lots of re-shaping and tastefully done, the upgrades literally speak for themselves, she sounds great! Finish is impeccable.

Lots of mods for an individual look and performance - nice job. A cool look and nice satin finish - very classy, extra point for the nice dog haha

Highly original. Well planned and executed. Excellent job.

Michael Masters' ST-1
    That gorgeous olive wood and wild (layered) headstock shape truly make this one unique build. The apple green body has come up beautifully and works so well with the pickguard. I find the white of the pickups and knobs both nicely contrasting but also a little jarring, so I'm somewhat torn. Regardless, a beautiful and skillfully executed olive wood vision.

Labour of love as highlighted in the build videos. Highly figured timber scratch plate and same on front & rear of headstock works well with the translucent green over Basswood body.

The standout features of this ST-1 are obvious, the olive wood pickguard and veneer on the front and back of the headstock is nothing short of jaw dropping. The headstock shape is in a class of its own. I wonder what makes the candy apple green sour? If I had to say anything less than positive, I would question the colour of the back plate, knobs and pickup covers (but that may be a budget issue).

I really like the way the green body and veneered pick guard and head stock play off against each other. Great attention to detail.The headstock design isn't my cup of tea but that's just personal taste I guess.

Really nice green strat, looks good. Lots of work on the headstock - but needs a name! Nice work with the veneer

Love the green and the pickguard. The headstock shape confuses me. I feel it belongs on an 'odder' shaped guitar, and the tuners are too close to the edge of the headstock.

Sundragon's ES-1GT
    I love the colouring on this ES. Simple, subtle and elegant it just oozes class with the sharp contrast of the binding. Even the back has a lovely shimmer. The neck colour is a little darker than I'd like, but it works with the body colour regardless. Nice upgrades that suit the build nicely. I'm not entirely sold on the asymmetrical headstock, but it looks good with those tuners. I look at this and I think, smooth.

Looks like a 50 year old antique which suits this style of guitar. Unique headstock shape with binding shows commitment with attention to detail. Nice pair of PUP’s and gold tuners. Only blemish appears to be a repaired crack on the rear of headstock otherwise looks good.

What a special gift to your friend Sundragon. The ES-1GT build with gold hardware and black pickups is a dead set classic. The headstock binding is no easy task either! I wonder what happened to the black Tusq nut? I would buy this guitar.

A long time in the making and like a good scotch it paid off. Awesome finish that works so well with the gold hardware. I'm undecided about the asymmetrical head stock but points for the veneer and binding. All up a very sweet axe.

A very nicely executed ES - classic and classy. Very nice finish and love the satin neck. Love the pickup combo, very nice work

The conservative finish suits this guitar to a tee, the asymmetrical headstock looks like it belongs to a different guitar.

Re_Tlsp's RCA-4
    This really does scream 'ric'. The hardware combined with the simple black and white colours are just perfect. Stereo output, nice upgrades and an excellent finish, what's not to love! I'm not normally a fan of rc's, but this is one I'd certainly take a second look at. Well done.

One of the best Ric replicas I have seen built with genuine looking bridge, bridge pickup & mounting ring, plus the upgraded neck pickup. Even the control knobs look authentic too. Stereo & mono jacks too however there looks to be a lot of thread protruding which visually detracts an otherwise spot on build. A couple of rubber or nylon washers on the inner side of jack plate would tidy things up.

Simple, back and white and sleek. Looks like a labour of love, I very much know how difficult it is to get a mirror finish from black, highly commendable!! That headstock shape is very cool. I would have liked to see a build diary for this one and the photos are a bit difficult to see the detail, but its a great RCA-4.

Mmmmm, black and white Ricky. If it had the logo on the headstock I'd be fooled. Excellent choice of upgrades and a pro looking finish. Not flashy but nicely understated.

Absolute stunner of an R Bass - very nice black and white look, very classy and nicely done . Just two points: those pics are a little hard to discern and real details from, and headstock could do with a logo - having said that, this one is all class.

Proves simple can be better than fancy. The replica hardware really adds/improves on this kit. This bass screams "play me".

Konstantina's MMB-4
    I'm almost lost for words. The time, effort and intricacy in creating this burned masterpiece is just mind-boggling. Angels and demons with hints of celtic and norse elements, you could spend hours just admiring it. The black hardware is the perfect subtle choice with the body colour, and allows the burning to shine without distraction. The only slight detraction for me is the headstock shape makes it look slightly over-sized to my eye. I love the shape, but it just seems a touch large. Stunning build.

Wow, gobsmacked at the amount of attention to detail and all the intricate work done to produce a truly amazing piece of art.

The choice of a wood burned design on this guitar is certainly something that many of us haven't seen. The design and execution of it is simply nothing short of stunning. I could stare at it for hours. The heastock shape and wood burn design on it is brilliant. The finish, for me, is the only thing that detracts from its beauty.

Excuse me , can you pick my jaw up off the floor please, there's a good chap.
    Consider my gob to be well and truly smacked. I think someone said " a work of art" and that is exactly what it is. Your teacher is one lucky individual.

Probably one of the most spectacularly modded guitars I've seen. It's different , ostentatious, yes it remains a very classy job. The work in this is amazing and beautifully done - excellent job

A work of art, and I'm in awe of the work that was put into it. Having said that, the finish looks quite "rough". Perhaps that was what you intended.

DMartin's LP-1ML
    A classic desert burst LP, absolutely drool worthy. Executed beautifully, if it was a righty I'd make a bee-line for it in any store. Fantastic finish with a great burst transition. Nice upgrades and an excellent overall build. One word: awesome!

Stunning Lefty LP Burst. Great transition in the colours front & rear which still allows plenty of the flame maple to shine. Love the cheeky headstock logo too.

To tackle a great burst on a flamed maple top straight off the bat is "slow clap" worthy DMartin. The subtle husky burst on the cap, back and neck I would imagine would mirror to beautiful tone it would produce. The mirror finish on that guitar is fantastic.

Some sort of evil left-handed-ness going on here. If I saw that in a shop I'd think "Didn't know Martin did LP's". Superb finish, great upgrades , what can I say except well done!

Some cool mods on a very nicely built LP. That burst is absolutely wonderful and reminds me of some of those super classy Gibson finishes (about the only thing they seem to do well nowdays... oops did that come out loud?). This is a class act from start to finish and if it indeed plays as good as it looks then it's a stunner

Well finished. Very well done.

And so to the runner up...
    The judges loved DMartin's LP-1ML
    The quality of the finish and the burst have duly impressed...

But as they say in the Highlander, there can be only one...

Congratulations to Konstantina - the first win with an MMB... ever! All the judges loved this one and it was a clear stand piece of art. I don't think any judge would mind having it hang out with their guitars!

8. Liked by: kel1985

Really???? Honestly???!!! Omg! I'm actually speechless... thank you all so very much for all your kind words and support!! I had my birthday on June 3rd and this is the best birthday present ever!!!! thank you! :-)

Allthough the competition was really hard this month I think you deserved it man. Your axe is Heaven and Hell!!!!
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Thank you!! I really enjoyed creating it and wanted to share it with you! actually I'm not a man, I'm a woman... not that it makes any difference!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast