Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More 12 strings?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Talking ES-Style Acoustic-Electric 12-String

Hoped for from PitBull, at least by THIS new member, is an acoustic-electric 12-string guitar, whether finished or kit not being of import, whose details are mindful of those of the 12-string versions of the ES series which Gibson (R) introduced and popularized.

Top price in United States Dollar$ would then be paid to get one.
    No point exists in building your own guitars in cases where you yourself cannot even play them. But as long as you know, or know of, someone who can play guitars, then that should not be a problem.

yeah semi acoustic 12 string would be great. Danelectro or Thinline style with a binding

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Gabriel View Post
    Hoped for from PitBull, at least by THIS new member, is an acoustic-electric 12-string guitar, whether finished or kit not being of import, whose details are mindful of those of the 12-string versions of the ES series which Gibson (R) introduced and popularized.

Top price in United States Dollar$ would then be paid to get one.
    This might fit the bill.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/g...kit-12-string/
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

When you order a custom 12 string make sure you make it clear that you are indeed making a 12 string. I ordered a custom order of a LP Junior double cut and wanted a blank body with only the rear recess and no jack hole as I wanted the jack on the top face rather than out of the side. Unfortunately I have had to order a jack plate as my body came with a jack hole. I ordered a neck from a 12 string tele as I thought it would be wider to have the 12 string setup I wanted and I ordered it with no holes drilled for tuners as I was going to use a set of 6 on a plate on each side, as stated in my order, as obviously the holes that came standard was not going to fit. Again unfortunately when I got my order the neck was the 12 string head shape but only a 6 string width with a 6 string nut fitted. Well at least I got the body shape and head shape I asked for but not exactly what I wanted.

I know Ric's have a standard width nut for their 12 strings so it is possible to fit 12 strings on a 6 string width but it would have been easier with the right width to begin with. Fortunately being a toolmaker I have a set of slip gauges and feeler gauges and after some calcs have worked out my spacing's. After reading on other websites I knew what width is between each string and how far to come in from the side so I added up the string thicknesses of each set plus the gap in between, took the sum of all the sizes plus 6mm away from the 42mm nut width and divided the left over by 5. I then set about using my nut files and gauges and used the original plastic nut and spaced out my string spacing which look good and are evenly spaced. I will use this as my master to layout my strings on the replacement bone nut and hopefully all will be good, a little cramped but playable none the less. Just making lemonade from the lemons I was given and I just want to play my guitar no matter what. I am making a hardtail with through body but haven't worked out what or how many pup's I will be using plus my savings have to match my part list bill.
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 2 - Non PBG Tele Thin line
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    # 8 - SGB-30 + Non PBG SG
    # 9 - Custom JRM-1DC 12 String
    #10 - Custom ST-1 with P90's
    #11 - Custom TL-1 with 27" Bari Neck
    #12 - Custom JZ-6 Jazzmaster
    #13 - AG-1 Factory Second
    #14 - Custom JZ-6 Bass vi
    #15 - EX-1R Factory Second
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Guy View Post
    Ah, but that one is primarily a hollow-body electric once completed!

To the extent of awareness of this user, it cannot, alas, be so constructed as to provide acoustic sounds too. Not without extensive customization that would enable it to play as an amplified acoustic in case the guitarist wants that sound.

And this user, BEING a guitarist, DOES want that sound!
    No point exists in building your own guitars in cases where you yourself cannot even play them. But as long as you know, or know of, someone who can play guitars, then that should not be a problem.

To the extent of awareness of this user, it cannot, alas, be so constructed as to provide acoustic sounds too. Not without extensive customization that would enable it to play as an amplified acoustic in case the guitarist wants that sound.

Hey there Parker, myself being someone who I consider can't play guitar takes a little bit of offense to your signature. I love building guitars and just making some sound. It doen't matter what your level of expertise is, we are all here doing something we love and that's what matters. So take off your bow tie and drop the higher than thou attitude. Fair enough to have an opinion, which you have done, and I've just given mine. JB
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Many apologies; the signature deserved to be revised. And it was just before this response was completed.

I've noticed you haven't built any guitars. Maybe there's No point in playing one until you yourself can build one or know of someone who can. Then that should not be a problem. Order a kit and join in on creating something of your own design. Maybe then you will understand
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

You are being overly obtuse in stating what you want, so it would help to stop being over-verbose.

So what you are after is a 12-string electro-acoustic in the shape of an Gibson ES? But Gibson produced many ES guitars in different shapes. ES-5, ES-100, ES-120T, ES-125, ES-125T, ES-130, ES-135, ES-137, ES-140, ES-140T, ES-150, ES-165, ES-175, ES-225T, ES-250, ES-260, ES-295, ES-320TD, ES-325, ES-330TD, ES-335, ES-336, ES-339, ES-340TD, ES-345, ES-347, ES-350, ES-355, ES-359, ES-369, ES-390 and ES-775. OK, some are variations on the same shape but nevertheless, you are going to have to be more specific.

And please be aware that PitBull don't do any standard acoustic guitar kits.

PitBull do custom orders based on existing kits, so you might be able to order an ES-5V kit with a 12 string neck with no pickup rout, and no control or jack holes, so that it will otherwise appear as a hollow bodied Jazz style, (though you may have to source a 12-string trapeze tailpiece yourself). The standard bridge would accommodate a 12-string layout, without having individual intonation adjustment for each string in an octave pair.

Quote Originally Posted by JB RETRO View Post
    I've noticed you haven't built any guitars. Maybe there's No point in playing one until you yourself can build one or know of someone who can. Then that should not be a problem. Order a kit and join in on creating something of your own design. Maybe then you will understand
    The guitar building has been impossible for this user, whose income is fixed, due to unfortunate lack of available funds. With a steadier source of money, the kits would most likely gain affordability, and more guitars COULD be built in that case.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast