Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's the actual difference between the cheapest Bass strings and the dearest?

I take the James Jamerson approach: install strings, never change them! On that basis I've always bought good strings knowing I'm expecting them to last a long time. I guess it helps that I generally play flats and like a mellow rather than bright sound anyway.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Quote Originally Posted by burngeorgesbush View Post
    With bass strings there's a few ways to save, a good old trick is boiling the strings which can refresh them and make them sound new again. Boiling them can bring them back a few times and cleans them as well. Another option is to buy a quality set of flats such as thomastik infeld jazz flats. They generally have a sound in between upright bass and the piano bass sound, turn up the treble and you can get a reasonably bright sound and they last much longer and can be boiled. I would generally not cheap out on strings but for sure definitely save money by refreshing them
    I've never had a great deal of luck with boiled strings.
    No matter how hard I try to make sure that they go back on the Bass exactly the same way that they came off, I usually end up having one break on the Bridge Saddle.....
    I would never join a club that would have a member like me.....

Mentor
    Expect to pay anywhere between $30-$50 for a decent set. Anything below that is ok but won't last long. Ernie Ball sets are a safe bet- never had a dud set yet, unlike others I can name... (*cough Rotosounds cough*)
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

EBs or D'Addario heavy rounds on the 4 stringers now and only ever used Fender strings on the VI and the old L Series PBass back when I had them in the late 60s & early 70s

Tried the black nylon wound Fender flats but couldn't ever get to like them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2