Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier Holes?

Amplifier Holes?

Hi all,
    So in December last year I was the lucky recipient of a Marshall stack (2 4x12s and a 100W head). I have no problems with its sound but I do have a question regarding the 4 x 12 cabs. I've always thought that cabs needed air flow, but both of them are completely sealed in ie: have no ports. Is this a 'thing' now? Are Marshall skimping on labour costs by not cutting ports? Should I cut out some section/s of the back of the cabinets? Some thoughts here would be much appreciated. And to be clear, one is angled, the other is a straight cab and both are sealed in. Thanks in advance.
    =======
    I think I have about 14 guitars on my to-do list...
    nDR01d

good question Ndriod, I have a Marshall Suoperlead model 1960 cabinet and I don't think it has any air port holes, I will check over the weekend and get back to you.
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 28-04-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

3. Liked by: nDR01d

As far as I am aware Marshall quad boxes have always been sealed, I know our guitarist Jeff's 200W Superlead was sealed back in the late 60s and the ones I have seen since have all been sealed.

there must be a reason DK, maybe to keep the dust out of the cabinet but if dust settled on the speakers all you have to do it ark it up !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

That's actually how Jim Marshall (who started the Marshall company in the early 60's) designed the first Marshall Quad Boxes, fully sealed, the only time you ever see speaker boxes with holes in them is when they are designed as Hi-Fi speakers, the hole in the Hi-Fi speaker is what's called a Bass Port, it is designed to extend the low-end of the speaker and flatten-out the response, there's actually a good reason for the Marshall Quad Box being sealed, well two reasons I can think of, it increases the power-handling of the speakers, and it also helps to project the sound out the front of the speaker, you also get that low-end resonance that fattens up the sound too.

Jim Marshall once explained that he put the angle on the speaker cab to make it look a lot more neater and also to beam the sound out to the back of the audience, thus enabling the guitarist to be easily heard.

On the other hand, you have amplifiers manufactured by Fender that have speakers mounted in cabinets with open backs, this produces a very different kind of sound compared to the Marshall sound.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 28-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.

7. Liked by: nDR01d

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    That's actually how Jim Marshall (who started the Marshall company in the early 60's) designed the first Marshall Quad Boxes, fully sealed....

....On the other hand, you have amplifiers manufactured by Fender that have speakers mounted in cabinets with open backs, this produces a very different kind of sound compared to the Marshall sound.
    Well I guess that "seals" it. Thanks for the mini history and science lesson Dr N. I also like the idea of not having to cut up the back of those beauties.
    =======
    I think I have about 14 guitars on my to-do list...
    nDR01d

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Tthe only time you ever see speaker boxes with holes in them is when they are designed as Hi-Fi speakers, the hole in the Hi-Fi speaker is what's called a Bass Port, it is designed to extend the low-end of the speaker and flatten-out the response
    Not entirely true Doc there are plenty of ported boxes, particularly bass boxes ( Markbass & Hartke ) and I think you'll find very few Fender and Vox combos that aren't open backed, even their big bass bins were ported a lot of rich stuff comes off the back of the speaker. Just read the rest of your post

Roy Buchanan used to face his twin away towards the back of the stage in most instances, mic at the front and sound off the rear of the speakers radiating out to the band and audience.

The Marshall box is very directional and if you're off centre they are just loud but get right in front of a fully cranked one and it's like a wall fell on you.

A good basic article on speaker cabs:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscella...cabinets/14687

I think the topic title must be 'cabinet holes'

Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

You are one helluva lucky fella.

Marshall quad boxes sound they way they do because of the fully enclosed sealed construction and most folks usually play through the slant box and leave the square faced one behind or out the back as a spare. As Dave said, if set up as a stack on stage they tend to be directional and also very, very loud.

When I used mine I had a road case for the head which I sat the slant box on top of and then the head on top of that and this helped to hear it better without washing out everyone one else's sound nearby.

Also had a 50w 2x12 Marshall combo which had an open back like most Fenders do and it sounded ok with a Strat but horrid with a humbucker fitted axe. Switching back to the quad box it was humbucker heaven in comparison producing meatier mid rangy tones and glorious controllable feedback.

What sort of head did you get? JCM800, JCM900 or something else? Mine was an ancient late 60's Super Bass 100w with no master volume and was super loud. Played guitar through it for a few years before switching to bass and it handled both without a drama. Big mistake selling that rig so many years ago.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast