Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Building myself a Windows XP DAW PC

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It may be a jumper, but it's often a BIOS option. Which reminds me - probably worth replacing the MOBO battery now, so that you know it's good and doesn't die on you soon and loses any setup changes you may have made.

Already changed out the Bios battery for a new one, I've tried disabling the integrated sound in Bios, still no luck, I may have a dud PCI card, but that doesn't explain why it still shows up in Device Manager, it's as if Windows knows the PCI card is installed, but is ignoring it for some reason, maybe the PCI card is incompatible with the PCI slots, I doubt it cause then it wouldn't even show up in Device manager, it's reporting that the device isn't working because the drivers aren't installed, I tried uninstalling it in Device manager, and then doing a scan for hardware changes, it detected that the PCI card was physically installed, but then said that it couldn't find the device driver files, even though the installer software had reported that it had finished the installation, maybe something is preventing the driver files from being installed?....hmmmm....

Here's a thought, could it be that the Digi001's firmware has gotten corrupted somehow?

I doubt it. It's probably that Windows XP has no standard system drivers that will work with it as it's an 8-in 8-out, + ADAT + S/PDIF and MIDI soundcard.

You need to get some DAW software on the PC and see whether that will load the ASIO drivers.

Is there a PCI parity option in the BIOS?

Have you got the DIGI 001 manual? Here's a slightly older one. http://akarchive.digidesign.com/supp...rtGuide501.pdf

But it does mention having to load windows wave drivers etc.

I doubt it. It's probably that Windows XP has no standard system drivers that will work with it as it's an 8-in 8-out, + ADAT + S/PDIF and MIDI soundcard.

You need to get some DAW software on the PC and see whether that will load the ASIO drivers.
    I've got FL Studio installed on the computer, it lists the driver as Digidesign ASIO, but when I go to set it up so that FL Studio is using it, it reports that there are not enough inputs/outputs to enable it and then the software hangs.

Is there a PCI parity option in the BIOS?

Have you got the DIGI 001 manual? Here's a slightly older one. http://akarchive.digidesign.com/supp...rtGuide501.pdf

But it does mention having to load windows wave drivers etc.
    Good question, I'll try re-starting the computer and then boot it into the Bios setup screen and see if there's a setting like that.

Okay, I just checked and unfortunately,there is no PCI parity option in the motherboard's Bios setup.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-04-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Sounds like it needs control panel software as well. Maybe without it all the I/O are disabled by default (though you'd think that inputs and outputs 1+2 would always remain enabled.

Can you remember a control panel interface from before? It's looking rather like you need to load Pro Tools LE with it to get the correct software suite to make it work, even if you don't then use PT LE.

Sounds like it needs control panel software as well. Maybe without it all the I/O are disabled by default (though you'd think that inputs and outputs 1+2 would always remain enabled.

Can you remember a control panel interface from before? It's looking rather like you need to load Pro Tools LE with it to get the correct software suite to make it work, even if you don't then use PT LE.

That's definitely a possibility, Avid said on their website that the Digi001 ASIO driver was a standalone one, and that you don't have to have ProTools installed to use it with third-party DAW software, here's a link to the actual webpage that I went to to download the driver file from:

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/asio/

Yes, I've seen that, but I get the feeling that it means you still have to have a PT LE installation first, but the stand-alone ASIO driver then lets you use it with other DAWs on your PC. However the control panel components and wave driver for Windows (maybe also stand-alone with their own desktop icons) are part of the PT LE suite.

Yes, I've seen that, but I get the feeling that it means you still have to have a PT LE installation first, but the stand-alone ASIO driver then lets you use it with other DAWs on your PC. However the control panel components and wave driver for Windows (maybe also stand-alone with their own desktop icons) are part of the PT LE suite.
    I was actually going to install ProTools Le on the Compaq PC anyway, so maybe that's the answer, I'll give that a try then, I'll see if I can download the setup files for ProTools LE 6.4 and the updates from the Avid website.

Actually, I have a feeling that I probably need to download the latest PACE installer file in order to get the driver for the Digi001 to install properly.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast