Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do I get back to Kansas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How do I get back to Kansas?

Sir,
    So I bought an Es335 Bass kit. it's beautiful. All of the pieces fit together well. It's really a great job. And I'm really excited about putting it all together and playing it! I wanted to stain it rather than paint it to preserve the natural tone of the wood. I chose a color that I thought I'd like from Wudtone - Surfer Girl - which in the pictures looks like a pair of faded well worn blue jeans but turns out to be greenish in color. I sanded down with 220 grit, wiped down and applied a base coat. ...It's just ugly! I'm convinced I didn't do something right but before I throw in the stained towel and paint it white I wanted to know if there's any way to sand back down to the flame-top and start over. I'm also convinced now that I'm all musician and no luthier! I've learned my lesson! Please Mr. Wizard! Get me back to Kansas! If that's not possible can I seal the stain and paint over it without bleed thru?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Surfer Girl.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	18858  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose60; 21-04-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Can you provide more info about your process. How did you sand before staining? How many coats of stain are in the picture? Do you do any grain filling prior to staining, if so what did you use?
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Can you provide more info about your process. How did you sand before staining? How many coats of stain are in the picture? Do you do any grain filling prior to staining, if so what did you use?
    Thanks for the reply. Here are the steps:
    I wiped down with a dry cloth
    I hand sanded lightly with 220 grit. (barely raised any dust)
    I wiped down again and then applied a base coat. (I didn't apply filler)
    I let the base coat dry for 2 days and then used fine steel wool to smooth out.
    I wiped down with a dry cloth and then applied another base coat. The picture is the final result.

Wow... Can see why you are not a happy camper....
    It has been a while since we stopped supplying wudtone so my advice at would be to contact the manufacturer for help and advice.
    In the mean time, give it a light scuff sand with 400 grit and try another coat.
    Sometimes the first coat can look like hell.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Thanks Dingobass. I'll try your suggestion. I will contact Wudtone though I'm not real confident about the result after this and being misled on the color. If all else fails can I seal this bad job up and paint over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose60 View Post
    Thanks Dingobass. I'll try your suggestion. I will contact Wudtone though I'm not real confident about the result after this and being misled on the color. If all else fails can I seal this bad job up and paint over it?
    Yes, you can scuff sand and apply a good quality finish over it.
    My recommendation would be to use a Nitro finish such as Behlen which is available in rattle cans.
    They make a really nice Seafoam green, as close to the original as it gets.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hate to say it but to me it looks like you've sanded right through the veneer
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Thanks Dedman. The pictures don't really tell the whole story. The veneer is still intact. I only hand sanded once. The stain job is really that bad. I don't know if I didn't wait long enough between applications before applying the next coat. I thought 48 hours would be enough.

I'm just wondering if (apart from the obvious colour deviation from expected) that it's the worst case of glue seepage I've yet seen on a PBG. The veneer should have easily absorbed the stain easily and evenly if it wasn't a glue issue.

Can you take some more photos from a bit closer of the finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'm just wondering if (apart from the obvious colour deviation from expected) that it's the worst case of glue seepage I've yet seen on a PBG. The veneer should have easily absorbed the stain easily and evenly if it wasn't a glue issue.

Can you take some more photos from a bit closer of the finish?
    I'll send more pics today. It looked to me like glue spots too. Maybe a bad batch of stain but It looks to me like it's kind of adhering to something other than the wood. I tested on a 2x4 pin and the stain went on OK with no splotches on the first application.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast