Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Veneer Brainstorming

nice score CGG, remember an explorer body is massive must be close to over 500mm long or about 20+ inches in crappy imperial units. How long are they ? I would do the first veneered axe on a flat body and work up to an archtop. As others have said minimum controls and hardware and all veneer is the go and certainly no pickguards !

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    nice score CGG, remember an explorer body is massive must be close to over 500mm long or about 20+ inches in crappy imperial units. How long are they ? I would do the first veneered axe on a flat body and work up to an archtop. As others have said minimum controls and hardware and all veneer is the go and certainly no pickguards !
    They come in variable widths of 18"-24" so I requested they send the longest they had in stock. The maple came in 24" but the walnut is only 22" so an explorer in the walnut will be cutting it pretty close. They are all 8" wide.

I'll definitely be doing a flat top first. The carved will be something to work up to. Maybe I could combine the two and do a contrasting wood pickguard for a total woodgasm.

no worries glad you got the longer veneer if you are doing an explorer. You could always glue a veneer to the control cover or pickguard or get some 3-4mm thick pieces and cut the shape
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Alright so in more procrastination from my main projects I've been assembling more wood and parts to use with my fancy veneers. I found a handy guitar wood supplier in my neighborhood of Canada and ordered a swamp ash body blank and sitka spruce unglued boards to try out my router skills on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170710_204746.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	20598 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170710_204732.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	20600

A while ago I also picked up a couple cheap Chinese necks on Amazon to try out on my scratch build bodies. The first idea I have is a tele with the burled walnut veneer on the swamp ash body with a maple neck. The body would get either a walnut grain filler or brown stain to get it closer to the darkness of the walnut veneer.

Name:	20170710_205448.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	20601

Next up I'm thinking of an Ibanez FR shape with the burled maple veneer on sitka spruce body with a maple/rosewood neck with 'copper' dot inlays. I also want to try modding some chrome hardware to copper to tie it together.

Name:	20170710_205024.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	20602

wow CGG some excellent body blanks and veneers there, bet you can't wait to get started !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Yes indeed. I'll have to make myself wait at least until I finish my Red Ensign and Uncle Milty projects before I add to my work in progress. Then I'll have to start my Flying V as well. The first step in dealing with GAS is admitting you have a problem.

But why ever deal with it? Just accept and embrace it. It is part of who you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2