Thread: Andoer maple Telecaster neck.

Andoer maple Telecaster neck.

Hi everyone, thought I would start a thread about an all maple Andoer Telecaster neck that a local Darwin Luthier gave me for nothing, all I need now is a body for it so that I can build myself a custom Telecaster.

I've actually been debating in my head what I was going to do with the neck for some time now, and seeing that a lot of you are building some pretty cool looking Telecasters, I couldn't help but get inspired, anyway, I'll post a pic of the neck shortly so you can see what it looks like....stay tuned.

Here we go, here's three pics of the neck:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele Neck 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	18799

Name:	Tele Neck 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	18800

Name:	Tele Neck 3_resized.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	18801

What's a bit unusual about the neck is that it was made with a 16 Inch fretboard radius so it's a lot flatter than the standard Fender 7.25 Inch radius that Telecaster necks used to be made with (the real early ones anyway), and yes I agree, the headstock is a bit mis-shapened too, might consider re-shaping it so that it's more "correct", or maybe I should just leave it alone.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 18-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Chunky neck doc. Are you going to get a slab of Camphor and cut a tele body?
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Chunky neck doc. Are you going to get a slab of Camphor and cut a tele body?

It would be cool to have a go at cutting a Tele body, but I really don't have the tools or machinery to be able to do a good job of it, fortunately Wokkaboy has offered to cut me a Tele body using his new CNC machine once he's learnt how to use it, he's going to have a look for some pieces of wood for me, so I don't know exactly what kind of wood it'll be, I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see, I'm planning on building a custom Tele with two humbuckers on it, should look cool, I had the idea of finishing the body with just a few layers of clear coat if the wood has some nice grain patterns on it, there's a website I know of where I can order a set of 6 in line Kluson-style tuners that are locking types and have a 19:1 gear ratio, I'm thinking of getting a set of them for the custom Tele, and going with Chrome hardware, my plans could change though.

I may need to do a fret-leveling job on the neck, so I'll have to buy some fret-leveling tools soon, I noticed that some of the frets are a bit high when I tried straightening the neck because it had a bit of forward bow, I almost got it straightened out by tightening the truss-rod but found that the truss-rod nut was getting a bit too tight to turn, and I got a bit worried that I'd end up breaking the truss-rod and ruining the neck, I do have a spare Maple neck I could use, but I'll need to cut the headstock to the correct Tele shape, not anything to worry about, but at least I do know that I have a useable spare if things go pear-shaped with the Andoer neck.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 20-04-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Thats really great of Wokks. Really great guy. I'm interested to see what you do with this one Doc.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Thats really great of Wokks. Really great guy. I'm interested to see what you do with this one Doc.

That goes for me too mate, I think it's about time I had a go at building a Tele style guitar, it'll be an interesting challenge for me and I always enjoy a good challenge.