Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: first time scratcher

I'm not sure though if we've ascertained whether you are having a front or rear routed control cavity? If rear (as Woks is assuming), then you'll be pushed to get a 3-way switch in there, especially with an inset rear control cover plate plus enough depth in the top to safely mount the 3-way switch without the wood being too thin. Allowing 36mm depth, plus a 1.5mm flush cavity cover, only gives a 1.5mm wood thickness for mounting the switch to. Very precise routing required. You probably couldn't go thicker than 3mm anyway if you want the switch's knob sitting on the thick part of the lever, rather than looking a bit odd sitting higher up the thinner part.

A front-mounted control cavity would work better with this body thickness.

Thanks for that Simon, I had a feeling that it was going to be very tight, I will be going with front mounted control cover for that very reason and I still think it will be quite tight. I was thinking of a thin Tele style control cover( I don't want to cover up any more timber than necessary) and I think a blade switch will look nicer than a toggle, just my preference. Controls are looking like 3way switch, master tone, master volume and two mini switches, still tossing up the mini switch idea, may just use a five way switch. By using the front control cavity cover as a surface mount should give me a bit more room to play with, hopefully enough.

Just a bit, unless you went for a non-flush mount control cavity cover. But some 3/5way switches are shallower. I just prefer the wafer type. I've just found a non-wafer, single PCB type switch on a scratchplate of a guitar (that's about to be replaced) and that's only 32mm deep. This one from Allparts looks like it needs even less (probably depending if you bend the tags or not). https://www.allparts.uk.com/products...tic-case-ym-30

I'm thinking surface mount cover but I guess I should decide on a switch first and see how much room I need

Late to the party on this one, but had you considered an on/on/on miniswitch or one of the dimarzio dpdt type switches for a rear mount? Needs far less depth and presents a lot less out front if you don't want to hide wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5