Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: JohnH's LP-1S

JohnH's LP-1S

Hey guys,

Got my LP-1S kit last week. It's going to be slow going, but thought I should start a build diary so I don't forget.

After test fitting everything I've mostly just been thinking about how I'd like it to come out. Decided on a headstock shape, and managed to transfer that on today (though no chance to cut it yet).

Shall try to remember to update as I go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6968 small.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	640.4 KB 
ID:	18706  

2. Liked by: brokin009

Managed to get some work in on kit over the weekend.

Finally cut the headstock, and then sanded down to the line. First pic is a progress shot as I scraped and sanded down to the line, and the second is of the jig I made in my studio so I could keep my scraping angle straight. I don't seem to have a photo of the headstock finished, so will take one later.

Then, once the headstock was done, lots of sanding! Pretty sure I've taken off all the glue and machining scratches, but will look again in a day or two when I have fresh eyes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock small.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	18965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock jig small.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	18966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanding small.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	18967  

Way to go! I'll be following your build
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Thanks Kick!

Got some decal transfer paper in the mail today, so I'll start playing around with a logo design. I have this little finch logo that I made a few years back when I was trying to scratch build a mandolin (sadly still sitting in the shed only 2/3's finished)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo5 small.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	18990

I might print it out on a bit of acetate and see what it looks like on the headstock.

Current plan for staining is to keep the front natural, and to do the rest in the Red Mahogany Stewmac Colortone. Will do some colour tests over the weekend.

There are a couple of little dings in the front which I'm not entirely sure what to do about - from what I've read it seems the veneer is thin enough that grain filling + sanding is likely to be a problem. Has anyone found a workaround for this? I remember fixing some similar dings in an old acoustic a few years back, which from memory were just filled with CA glue and then scraped smooth. Worth attempting?

Started grain filling the back and sides with some ebony Timbermate. It's the first time I've used it, and I think I had the mix a bit thick the first time (see pic). The second coat I did I made the mix a little thinner, and it went on and sanded off much more easily. I also realised I should probably have masked out the cavities, so have done that now.

Name:	pore filling small.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	415.8 KB 
ID:	19059

Also started doing some little stain + finish tests on some scrap timber I had lying around. Unfortunately the only scrap I have is pine, so not ideal, but at least it gives me an idea.

Name:	stain test small.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	19060

Planning on using tru oil for the finish, as I've used it twice before and really love the way it feels. One of the tests I made (in fact, the one that looks most promising so far) was to see if the Colortone stain will go over shellac. I used shellac as a seal coat on the mandolin in my avatar pic, and it gave a really nice glassy effect to the stain (though that stain was oil based). I don't remember who suggested the shellac to me now, and the internet seems pretty divided on the use of shellac to seal wood, but as it looked so good last time I tried I figured it couldn't hurt to test and see if it works with the Colortone.
    Last edited by JohnH; 01-05-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Printed out a logo test on some acetate to see how it looks and to check the scale. It came out super blurry, as it seems my printer doesn't like printing on plastic. Apart from the blurriness, what do you guys think of the logo/placement/scale? I'm thinking maybe it could be a little smaller?

Name:	hs logo small.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	351.8 KB 
ID:	19062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hs logo 2 small.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	19061
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Looking good John.
    I like the first location better for your logo. Once the tuners are in place, it will look like the branch is locked between them.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

I agree with Zandit, first position is more aesthetically pleasing. The size seems good to me.

Yep, same for me
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast