Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scratch guitar build from scratch

yeah we will be making a front and a back and then laminating them together. thanks Wokka but the cut one is dads not mine

no worries Matney, good plan. Your dad did well routing the shape. Once the 2nd blank is glued and the front and back are glued together he will be able to use the top part for the router bit to follow.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

today we progressed a fair bit from where we were before. I was messing around with the template for close to half an hour nutil I got something that I liked a bit more than the old one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170414_155304.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	18701
    then we routed out the cavity for the semi hollow body part for both the top and bottom.

Name:	IMG_20170414_160106.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	18702
    and then we made the sound holey bit that hollow bodies have.

Name:	IMG_20170414_165952.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	18703

Name:	IMG_20170414_171704.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	18704
    and then we routed a line for the pickups' wires to go to the control cavity.

Name:	IMG_20170414_174039.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	18705
    and then we glued both the top and bottom together.
    when everything is routed out and ready to go I am intending on using a cherry red stain or one similar to that with a black grain pop as well as binding on the top. i'm hoping that there will be enough room for a bigsby style tremolo with a roller bridge. for pickups I am going to use GFS Dream 90's for the neck and bridge pickup with a gold foil single in the middle, also GFS. and for the neck I am going to have a maple fretboard strat style neck with locking tuners.

yesterday we took the guitar out of the clamps and it looked a bit like a guitar.

Name:	IMG_20170415_160930.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	18730
    then we routed it down to the template and started to sand down the sides so that all the little imperfections were gone.

Name:	IMG_20170415_180643.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	18731
    I know what I want to do with the wiring for the pickups but I'm just not sure whether it will work or not. so I want to have it so that all three pickups are always active and you have to change the volume on or off for whether you want them on or off because there will hopefully be no switch however when yo have the switch in the middle on a three-way switch so that both pickups are on and you turn one volume all the way off it doesn't work.

You can wire it that way, so the volumes alone will control the pickups independently (like a Jazz bass), it just requires changing how you connect the volume pots. But, there are trade-offs. Having all the pots always in the circuit will affect the sound, both through how they interact will the pickups and potential treble loss through the pots to ground. That doesn't mean it will sound bad, just different, and larger value pots can help counteract some of the effects.

Is there a specific reason why you don't want a switch, or is it just for looks?
    Scott.

I'm mainly doing it as to have all three pickups active at the same time however I am also doing it because I think it would look pretty cool to have 4 knobs and no switches ( 3 volume, 1 tone )

Essentially, you just need to wire it like a Jazz Bass, but with one extra volume in the chain. I'd try 500K or even 1M pots to even things out.
    Scott.

Thanks wierdbits good to know that the wiring will work also thanks for the tip with the pots.

Today I did some sanding on the horns, oh what fun.
    so yeah didn't really do much today except buy some wood for dads new scratch build, some sandpaper and a vacuum from the big green shed and do some sanding on the horns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2