Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Christodav's MM-1Q

At least the Tru-Oil is well and truly integrated with the wood, so it's not likely to ever peel off!

So, I have a pretty big issue. Nothing seems to run smoothly here.

I have discovered the hard way that Tru-oil, (probably more likely the spray only), doesn't agree with the Angelus black dye! It turns a copper brown colour! I believe that if I had have used some sort of sanding sealer first that it would have been okay. maybe even Simon's suggestion of the Tru-oil sealer.

As the coats on the front began to dry, the black on the edges of the top started to turn from black into a dirty chocolaty brown colour.
    My only option now is to sand back without sanding too far and try to get the red in over the top. I will have to order some more red now as I knocked the bottle over the other day and lost pretty much all of it.

I confirmed the issue by spraying the back and low and behold, I have a nice coppery brown finish on the back. I am going to go with it on the back and sides as it looks kinda cool but not on the top with the red. LOL

This is not going to plan all of a sudden.

Chris

Sorry to hear that Chris. This sort of thing makes me think we need a sticky "learnings" thread, so other can learn from the unfortunate mistakes of others.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Oh no that's terrible news that top was great

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I hope I can recover it.

In the meantime, here's the neck.

I have been working on the back and sides for a few weeks now and I am making some progress. I have had all the spray nozzles clog on me and I am waiting on some replacements in the mail so I can get on another decent coat of Truoil.
    Chris

Very shine headstock. Only one thing; I see that the tunerhole of the A tuner is not in line with the rest of the tuners on that side. You can see it clearly if you take a look at the second picture and put a ruler to the screen next to the straight sides.
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Shame about the dye - as we often say here - test on scrap when ever you can.
    The neck looks great - is that a crack in the face of the headstock or just the light?

Stan, it's not a crack, it's grain fortunately.

Yes Kick you are correct and I knew that. It makes one think how the factory workers can't drill 4 holes straight in a row. Or maybe they just don't give a toss? I came to the conclusion that it would be difficult for me to fill and re-drill that hole than just leave it and forget it. I had almost forgotten it and hadn't noticed for a while until you just reminded me LoL The instrument is for my own enjoyment and a slightly off line tuning peg won't affect the sound or playability of it even if it's kinda annoying.

I haven't given up on the finish on the body just yet. Don't write me off, I still have some time to make it right.😀

Chris

That's the spirit. Anyways can't wait to see it done. I love the color and that style of axe..

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast