Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: May GOTM

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    What can I say another month of awesome entries and well done Zero Mick. I'm not usually a fan of relic guitars - that all changed with this one! Dedman - another beauty
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

*expletive*

To say this was unexpected would be an understatement... and to think I almost didn't bother entering haha.
    yeah wow... cheers guys I was sure Fuzz's ES would knock my scrappy little LP jnr out for 6 (I'm not mentioning Dedmans ES because even the thought of that thing has me lusting so bad it's criminal haha)

thanks to the judges, wasn't sure if the finer details would be picked up... especially the fact that you need to do a quality job on the finish before relicing (seems counter intuitive I know) and for the nod to the old ways of Fenders paintshop doing colours over average sunbursts, this was my inspiration... but on a Gibson style guitar.

should pull my finger out and do a sound demo now....

3. Liked by: Fuzzbeard

Congratulations Mick & Deadman!
    Both very deserving ... the attention to detail is brilliant on both.
    I'm sure that you're going to be inspiring a bunch of other builders to take it to the next level!
    1st Build - JB-5RF (Runner Up GOTM November 16)
    2nd Build - PBA-5 (PBG custom)
    3rd Build - JMA-1 (JazzMaster)
    4th Build - LP-1S
    ... n+1 Build - currently plotting

Congratulations to you all. In a different month GeeGal or Fuzzbeard would have romped home. The quality is getting unreal for a bunch of amateurs.

6. Liked by: Fuzzbeard, wazkelly

Quote Originally Posted by zeromick View Post

should pull my finger out and do a sound demo now....
    You shall!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Couple of more comments from a judge - after a break in communications somewhere, half of the comments were lost, but I think its good to add these to the discussion. I can't stitch them into the previous comments without blowing the 10,000 word limit on a post...

1. Scott Davis' TL-1: Very country themed Barbed Wire Tele. Looks like a textured paint was used for the finish and complimented with a black pearloid scratch plate. Barbed wire pin striping looks good and like the ‘Sluggo’ headstock logo. Just need to remove the plastic dots off the back of the tuners.
    2. ThreeBBass' PBA-5: Nice clean natural lines reminiscent of a Maton JB4 with the 3 knobs and a mini switch. Kudos for reshaping the headstock and adding Hipshot string guides and D-extender tuner. Plenty of other tasty upgrades too.
    3. DJP's LP-1S: Another fine example of how good these spalted top LP’s look in a natural finish. Neck looks a fair bit shinier than the body which appears to have a more stain appearance. Slight points deduction for using standard truss rod cover.
    4. Fuzzbeard's ES-1G: Took a while to complete but well worth the wait. Love the sweet honey burst which gives this axe an aged or antique look. Nice upgrades but the only thing missing was a logo.
    5. Gee-Gal's TL-1: Menacing looking Red Back inspired theme that Peter Parker would be proud of. Impressed with the intricate headstock carving plus the spider carving placed on top of the body too. Finish on rear of body looks a bit rough near the lower bout. No logo but hey, no room for one on that headstock. Some interesting hardware upgrades too.

9. Liked by: ThreeBbass

Congrats guys!
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Congratulations Zeromick and Deadman well done! Thanks to all for the constructive comments. I have to say I never realised how much work is involved in building a guitar. I am teaching myself to carve and thought a guitar body would be pretty cool. Now Im hooked! I have so much more to learn. Cheers guys.

Mick and Dedman ..... very beautiful guitars. Congratulations. Well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee-Gal View Post
    This is my first guitar. TL-1 Kit, Hand carved 3D Redback Spider and carved headstock with Pyrography finish and web on the back.
    Schaller tuners, Camel bone nut, Lipstick humbucker in neck position, Babicz full contact bridge and Tone rider single coil pickup, Spider neck plate from Texas, Stirling silver spider knobs from Canada and Guitar sauce vintage wiring kit.
    I think thats everything, hope the pictures came up ok.
    I finished the spider and the headstock in clear Gloss with the rest of the guitar is natural timber in Satin to help make the big girl stand out.

Attachment 18753
    Attachment 18754
    Attachment 18755
    Attachment 18756
    Attachment 18757
    Just had an opportunity to see this ax up close and do a little work on it, gotta say the carving of the top is amazing...must have taken hours! More patience than me I'm afraid, well done Gee-gal

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast