Thread: Jazz-wan-a-be

Jazz-wan-a-be

Hello All, new to this-so please forgive me for any mistakes. Just purchased an ES 2V. Trying to make it into a Jazz guitar. I was wondering if anyone know if the body finishing (Dingotone) can be diluted to change the colors or must they be used as they are? I was wondering if you could use a color at full strength to color deep pores and then dilute the color and then color the body with a slightly lighter color. Lookin forward to my build. I plan to take my time and experiment on some test woods before applying them to the guitar. Thanks for listening.

Hi Big Greg, welcome to the forum. If you are after a lighter Dingotone colour Dingobass can mix you a lighter version of a colour or he should be able to include an extra bottle of a reducer to mix in to lighten the colour.
    Once you put down a full strength coat it will be hard to lighten the colour. Generally you keep applying coats till you are happy with the colour. It would be best to start off light and build up to the depth of colour you want. It's easy to darken the colour but once a full strength coat is on hard to make it lighter without sanding it off. Hope this makes sense

EDIT I just asked DB and Dingotone doesn't ship to USA yet, sorry. You could look at other stain options
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 28-03-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

3. Liked by: Ducklets

Welcome Greg!
    I'm not sure you will be able to use Dingotone. At this stage, unless something has changed just recently, they are unable to ship the product overseas.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

what zandit said above,
    if youre in the US PBG cant ship to you as its classified as "dangerous goods"

thanks all who replied. you've been more than helpful.

I was also wondering if you need to grain fill a guitar with a maple top and a Basswood body (ES 2V)? And, has PitBull ever considered making a "route-out" for a control cavity on say an ES 2V semi-hollow to make it easier to install controls instead of fishing them thru the "F" holes, which can be a pain the you-know what! I have a Warmoth MoonCaster semi-hollow with the open route-out in the rear and it was a joy to wire up-no problems.

welcome BigGreg - it that a George Benson Ibanez in your profile pic? I recently made inquiries about one of these, and sadly they are not made in left handed - at all....

As an alternative - ColorTone dyes from Stewmac are well regarded and unlike those of us Aussies - for you the postage doesnt cost as much as the item...

You could always do your own modification for the wiring, but live the dream and do it the hard way!

Good luck and enjoy

BYOGuitar.com can sell you Wudtone which Pitbull used to sell before Dingobass invented Dingotone. It is very similar to DT to use, it just has some of the nasty chemical drying agents still in it. But if you look back to the earlier guitars in the gallery many of these were finished with Wudtone.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thanks all for you answers to my questions. You've all been great. I just receive my ES 2V kit today and have already tape off the fret board and body cavities and I'll start the first sanding tonight. The kit was darn near perfect. The neck fit really well. The neck and freat board are perfect. The fret ends and binding are beautifully done, smooth-with no sharp ends. Everything lined up perfectly. By the way, yes that is a new Ibanez GB10se in the picture. Just got it about 5 months ago. After waiting for a couple of months for them to come in; I had to send the first one back due to some finish problems on the hardware. The second one (pictured) is beautiful and plays like a dream. The best sounding Jazz guitar I have owned and I have owned about twelve of them. From Ibanez to Eastman they where never just right. So I sell them and use the cash to go on to the next one. This one is great! a keeper.

Welcome Biggreg, sorry i am so late. Welcome to the forum mate. What a great kit. cant wait to see what you do with it.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB