Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Pine Lap Steel - DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Guvna19 View Post
    I think wokkaboys steel has that tele bridge with slant? if so it looks sweet.
    Dave any idea what a second hand one would cost me? Are they easy to find? i best start getting some parts organised sooner than later so i can lay out design once i get the body shaped up a bit

cheers Guvna
    Got your PM and answered it.

Woks has the slant because he's used the Tele bridge, a steel has slightly wider spacing than your average electric which is why the Tele pickup finished up on a slant to get the poles under the strings.

I think I still have a bridge laying around so I'll throw that in with the pups

haha nice one DK, seems to be a popular choice Coopers. Last year I hosted a Coopers Vintage vertical tasting, I cellared them and had 8 years back to 2008. DB was there he loved it too. The 2008, 2011 and 2012 were the most popular, they had rounded off nicely with the cellaring
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 23-03-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Got your PM and answered it.

Woks has the slant because he's used the Tele bridge, a steel has slightly wider spacing than your average electric which is why the Tele pickup finished up on a slant to get the poles under the strings.

I think I still have a bridge laying around so I'll throw that in with the pups
    Thanks again Dave! Awsome forum - Guitar assistance and Beer Talk - feels like home!!

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    haha nice one DK, seems to be a popular choice Coopers. Last year I hosted a Coopers Vintage vertical tasting, I cellared them and had 8 years back to 2008. DB was there he loved it too. The 2008, 2011 and 2012 were the most popular, they had rounded off nicely with the cellaring
    apart from Dr Tims (which is just ok) , I like (love) all the Coopers Family, Pales for daily usage after work and dont mind the Sparkling for spec. with a drop of stout added...mmmmmm.
    Wokkaboy, i have started to like the crafty beers too, although they cost a fortune. brewer here in SA called Pirate Life make awsome rich beer, hoppy and pungent. might hafta start a beer forum and only talk abou guitars..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    I made my lapsteel out of reclaimed structural wood left out for council rubbish collection. The bridge and nut were made out of aluminium angle bracket. I bought a second hand humbucker on eBay. And I bought new Wilkinson tuners. I had a lot of the other bits floating around
    Hey Fretworn, sounds neat ! got any pics, i think ill be needing to fashion a nut from angle bracket too

cheers
    Guvna

Hey Guvna, still waiting for you to upload the avatar haha

yes I am well aware of Pirate life, expensive but worth every penny. We have started multiple beer threads but the talk always seems to creep into build diaries hahha

Completed builds

There are a couple of other lap steel builds on here. Here's Wokka's baritone http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6844 and Alm_63's art deco style. http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ight=lap+steel

You only need fret markers for guidance, not fretting, so you can obviously pick out your own scale length, then use a fret calculator to work out the positions. After which you mark up the fretboard, cut some slots and either fill them with contrasting wood slivers or a white wood filler or epoxy. A lot of people haven't bothered to do that but bought a used cheap classical guitar and taken the fingerboard off that (complete with frets). That gives you around a 25" scale length plus a wider fingerboard than on a steel-string guitar, which is fairly common on a lap steel.

Lap steels also normally run with parallel strings, so you'll probably need to use a custom nut blank (not one for a classical or steel-strung guitar) to get the width required at the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    There are a couple of other lap steel builds on here. Here's Wokka's baritone http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6844 and Alm_63's art deco style. http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ight=lap+steel

You only need fret markers for guidance, not fretting, so you can obviously pick out your own scale length, then use a fret calculator to work out the positions. After which you mark up the fretboard, cut some slots and either fill them with contrasting wood slivers or a white wood filler or epoxy. A lot of people haven't bothered to do that but bought a used cheap classical guitar and taken the fingerboard off that (complete with frets). That gives you around a 25" scale length plus a wider fingerboard than on a steel-string guitar, which is fairly common on a lap steel.

Lap steels also normally run with parallel strings, so you'll probably need to use a custom nut blank (not one for a classical or steel-strung guitar) to get the width required at the nut.
    cheers Simon
    appreciating your advice - im hearing ya, thanks also for build links. very nice, wokka sent me link too which made me wish i get somthin half as good. and Alm 63's is equally impressive.

im allready struggling with impatience, with all the usual commitments ,i.e, kids ,family , work, oh and beers with mates....lol = time poor

regards guvna

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hey Guvna, still waiting for you to upload the avatar haha

yes I am well aware of Pirate life, expensive but worth every penny. We have started multiple beer threads but the talk always seems to creep into build diaries hahha
    Hey Wokka, i sorted the suggested avatar just now as suggested outa good respect - dont mind it btw ..lol
    may change to any coopers logo in time....still... could be a keeper , cheers Guvna (Gav)

Good stuff Guvna looks as good as I thought

Completed builds

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast