Thread: DIY pickguard idea

DIY pickguard idea

I'm currently looking at lots of alternative approaches to the norm, and the cost of pickguard blanks has always bothered me!

This morning I went to the local plastics/perspex mob and I may have stumbled across an interesting one. They showed me a product called High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS). Despite my reservations about the fact it had the name polystyrene in it, it is effectively an easily fabricated plastic. It's available in .25 to 3mm thicknesses, and a 1370 x 760 sheet of white in 3mm is $50 (and I'm sure I can find cheaper). That should be enough for at least 8-10 pickguards. One drawback is that I can only find it in black or white (although it does seem other colours are possible to source), but I did ask the guy about how easy it is to glue two sheets together and he reckons there are a couple of spray adhesives that would work well. On that basis getting white/black/white 1mm sheets and gluing them together could be interesting.

I've subsequently read on other forums that it's very easy to work with too - sanding/cutting/routing etc.

I'll probably go ahead with making a couple in the next week or so and will report back, but for now just thought I'd share.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

2. Liked by: Hobastard

Hey Chuck,

Try a hobby store. Modellers use polystyrene sheets.

I've used it in the past to make bibs and bobs. It glues up quite well.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitz View Post
    Hey Chuck,

Try a hobby store. Modellers use polystyrene sheets.

I've used it in the past to make bibs and bobs. It glues up quite well.
    Cheers Rabbitz - I'll do that. I'd be good to try out smaller pieces before I buy a larger sheet from a plastics place.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Not sure if the modelling stuff is HIPS. I've bought sheets of modelling polystyrene in the past and it did scratch and mark rather easily.