Thread: Building Bass Traps

Building Sound Traps

This guy swears a little be warned young forum members.
    https://youtu.be/dZV-gxVpkGk
    Last edited by kimball492; 20-03-2017 at 09:20 PM.

They're not thick enough to really be called bass traps (the foil backing to the fibre does apparently lower the absorption frequency a bit), but they are very useful general purpose fairly wide band absorbers. You can also use Rockwool in a similar manner.

For young studio builders that have nothing Simon they will do an excellent job for little money. And make a vast difference to having nothing in the room. Are they the best no but they are not costing hundreds to thousands. These can be updated at a later date as funds allow.
    Last edited by kimball492; 19-03-2017 at 11:14 PM.

No, it's just the name 'Bass trap' I have a slight issue with. A lot of my friends have home-built wide-band absorbers like these. But they aren't bass traps. They'll go down to lower mid/very upper bass frequencies but need to be a lot thicker to start touching the real bass problem areas. If you have an issue with bass frequencies in a room (i.e. just about every room), then these aren't going to touch the bass frequencies enough to make much of a difference. Very useful for mid and high frequency absorption, and every studio should have some, but they need to be thicker, located further away from the wall and should ideally be located in the corners to start touching the true bass frequencies.

Simon I realise you have an issue. I suggest you take it up with Glenn Fricker as it's his video.
    Here's his details buddy.
    http://www.spectremedia.ca/contact-us/