Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Fender Super Twin.

Update:

Had to take a break from working on the Super Twin last week, reason being.....my 48 Watt Temperature-controlled Soldering Station simply wasn't "cutting the mustard" when it came to de-soldering the old mains earth wire from the chassis, realized that I needed a soldering iron with more grunt in it, so today, I went to my local Bunnings shop and bought a new 50/100 watt soldering iron, which proved quite up to the job, moral of the story.....if you're planning on doing servicing work on guitar amps, you need more than one soldering iron, a medium wattage one and a higher wattage one to de-solder those big solder blobs on the chassis, some amp manufacturers use the amp chassis as part of the grounding system, and the chassis can act as a huge heatsink, soaking up all the heat you pour into the solder joint, hence the need for a soldering iron with lots of grunt.

Of course, in hindsight I should have known that......

Stay tuned for more updates.

Oh my !!

At last count (from memory) I have at least Five temp controlled irons between 40W and 60w (Hakko & Scope & DSE), Two desoldering/vacuum pump irons at about 60W each, Two 25W tool box irons, A 12W 12VDC iron, Two old style 6VAC 25W Scope transformer irons, a 120W heavy duty iron, and 'the beast' Birko 300W iron with a 1" diameter tip (and 10min warm up time).... I'm sure there are others that I've missed...

I really need to take a family shot of all my soldering irons... One day.... And then there's the Cro's, the army of multimeters, the sig-gen's, and the hand-tool's... Oh so many hand tools... and tool box's and parts box's, and ....

Update:

Just a quick update from me, okay so I finished the work on the Super Twin amp, gave the mains wiring a check with my multimeter set to the 20M range, to check that there are no shorts to ground, everything looked good, I checked that there was complete circuit from the Neutral-pin to the Active-pin when the power switch is switched-on, all good there, I then decided to put the chassis back in it's wooden cabinet and give the amp a test-out with the Ashton quad box, after plugging the amp into the quad box I plugged it into a power board that was getting mains power, gingerly I switched the power switch on the amp on, hoping that there wouldn't be any bangs, smoke, screeches, or any other weird, and, or, abnormal behavior, nothing bad happened, the power indicator light lit-up, then I turned on the cooling-fan switch, the two fans whirled into life with no squeaking sounds, they were quiet, since that had all gone well without any mishaps, I switched the standby switch off so that the amp was fully running, still no bangs, smoke, weird, and, or, abnormal behavior.....cool, I turned up the master volume to about three and brought the channel volume up while plucking a string on my Fender Strat, I was greeted by a nice and clear twanging sound through the speakers of the quad box....it's alive!...it's alive!....IT'S ALIVE!!!!

The amp seems to be working perfectly well with the Ashton quad box, I'm getting some really nice clean tones from it, this amp is very powerful sounding, but very dynamic too, pick softly and it is very polite, pick or strum hard and it barks back.

I am very happy with it, it just needs a new front baffle for the wooden case and then it's gig-worthy.

Way to go Doc !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Way to go Doc !!!

Cheers mate, what's really cool about getting my super Twin amp up and running again is that I'm still alive to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Cheers mate, what's really cool about getting my super Twin amp up and running again is that I'm still alive to talk about it.
    You should be looking at it as skill and experience.... and that Luck had nothing to do with it...lol

Here's a pic of the Fender Super Twin amp, sitting on top of the Ashton quad box in my loungeroom, the amp has it's new front panel fitted to it's wooden cabinet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Twin Stack_resized.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	27808

The front panel of the amp's wooden cabinet is just a piece of 12mm X 180mm X 627mm planking I bought from my local Bunnings store, I also bought a can of matt black spray paint and sprayed the piece of wood with it, seems to work pretty well, later on i'm going to cover the front panel with some nice Paisley cloth, should look cool once it's finished, the amp is pretty much useable as is though, but one thing I would like to do later on is re-tolex the wooden cab after stripping-off all the old tolex, and re-gluing the corners, I'm also going to fit new chrome corner protectors and etc to the cabinet.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 19-08-2018 at 01:31 PM.

8. Liked by: wazkelly

Update:

I'm guessing that some of you out there are probably going to be pretty interested in hearing what my Fender Super Twin amp actually sounds like...right?, well, as it just so happens, I managed to record a quick and dirty little audio demo of the amp, and also managed to upload it to my account at soundcloud, so, without further ado, here's a link to it if you're interested in checkin it out:

https://soundcloud.com/drnomis_44/super-twin-demo

Here's another demo, this time I'm using my Ibanez TS-9 Tube screamer to dirty-up the sound a bit:

https://soundcloud.com/drnomis_44/su...demo-overdrive
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 22-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Pretty crisp Doc. Hows about a little overdrive and distortion!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Pretty crisp Doc. Hows about a little overdrive and distortion!

It doesn't really do overdrive and distortion all that well even though it does have a Distortion control, there's hardly any distortion when the distortion control is maxxed out, it's a very clean amp, I guess I could do another demo with either my TS-9 Tube Screamer or BD-2 Blues Driver, it does take pedals really well.

I still have some play-time left on my soundcloud account so I'll record a second demo with an overdrive pedal and add it to the post with the clean demo.....stay tuned.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 21-08-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast